Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Nostalgia & History > The Rio Grande Arrives in Glenwood Springs

Date: 03/19/07 06:26
The Rio Grande Arrives in Glenwood Springs
Author: flynn

Caroline Bancroft in her booklet, “Glenwood’s Early Glamour,” describes the arrival of the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad in Glenwood Springs on October 5, 1887. The following are excerpts from that description.

“The Denver and Rio Grande Railroad, colloquially called ‘The Little Giant,’ won the race to both towns. [The race was with the Colorado Midland to Glenwood Springs and to Aspen.] The narrow gauge line was building down the Colorado River and heading up the Roaring Fork to get to Aspen. The last rails were being laid through Glenwood streets early Wednesday morning, October 5, 1887, and that same night at seven-forty-five a special train of two locomotives, five coaches, and the ‘Maid of Erin’ (David Moffat’s private car) puffed into town from Denver and Leadville. An enthusiastic celebration, planned for weeks before, resounded all around. “

“The two little engines exuberantly whistled their arrival into Glenwood. They were answered by the whistle from the Electric Light Co., blasts of giant powder from the neighboring hillsides, exploding fireworks from many roofs, and the burning of calcium lights in the streets. Lighted electric bulbs or candles burned in every window in town. A band and over a thousand welcoming residents who shouted and tossed their hats were on hand at the depot site. The excitement lasted for a quarter of an hour during which he noise was deafening.”

“The Ute Chief, a Glenwood weekly newspaper, spoke of the event as ‘the supreme moment in the life of Captain Isaac Cooper … founder, pioneer, and benefactor of Glenwood Springs … fruition of his fondest hopes.’ At the banquet which followed, many toasts and responses were made, both by the visitors and the welcoming committee. Prominent among the latter were Major S.J. deLan, marshal for the day, who was head of the U.S. Land Office, and Walter B. Devereux who no doubt spoke with mixed emotions. Delight that his pet town was booming vied with chagrin that his own Colorado Midland syndicate had not won the race. When the banquet ended, it was nearly two o’clock in the morning.”

Walter B. Devereux was one of the major investors in the Colorado Land and Improvement Company, the company that developed the Glenwood Hot Springs Pool, the Hot Springs Stone Bathhouse and the Hotel Colorado. My Grandmother Flynn was brought from Ireland to Glenwood Springs by the Colorado Land and Improvement Company (c. May 1889) to work at the Hot Springs Pool and Stone Bathhouse. The Company paid her transportation. Because Walter B. Devereux was a major investor in the Colorado Land and Improvement Company and a major investor in the Colorado Midland Railroad it almost certain that my Grandmother Flynn came to Glenwood Springs on the Colorado Midland Railroad.

Picture 1 below is DPL photo GB8261. Caroline Bancroft uses this photo in her book. She says of this photo: “This little D.&R.G. locomotive had the honor of being one of two to pull the first train into Glenwood. Later in 1909, it pulled the [President] Taft Special into Montrose, Colorado, and is shown decorated for that day.”

Angela K. Parkison says in her book, “Hope and Hot Water: Glenwood Springs from 1878 to 1891,” “Engine No. 187 pulled the Special, consisting of five passenger cars and D.&R.G. President Moffat’s private car, Maid of Erin.”

Jim Nelson says in his book, “Glenwood Springs: The History of a Rocky Mountain Resort,” quotes from the Ute Chief newspaper, “As the train pulled through the tunnel its two engines opened their broad throats and gave a prolonged whistle.” Jim Nelson says, “The lead engine, No. 187, was under the control of O.B. Gutshall.”

I did a Keyword search on the Denver Public Library photo web site for 187 and did not find a picture of a D.&R.G. engine.

I could not find any pictures of the first train into Glenwood. I did find pictures of the first locomotives and first train into Aspen on October 27, 1895.

Picture 2 below is DPL photo MCC-3178. “Denver & Rio Grande Locomotive Number 403, and a Class C-19 Baldwin locomotive with Number 83, both narrow-gauge 2-8-0, with a large crowd of citizens gathered to meet the first locomotive to reach Aspen, Pitkin County, Colorado; tracklayers with the construction train reached the depot site on October 27, 1887.

Picture 3 below is DPL photo Z-5481. “Well-dressed men, women and children pose on and near the first Denver and Rio Grande Railroad train to arrive in Aspen (Pitkin County), Colorado. Steam rises from locomotive with American flags attached. People stand on railroad flatcars and the locomotive, some wave American flags. Rough hewn timber lays near the crowd and snow covered mountain peaks are seen in the distance. October 27, 1877.

Other booklets by Caroline Bancroft: “The Unsinkable Mrs. Brown;” “Augusta Tabor: Her Side of the Scandal;” “Silver Queen: The Fabulous Story of Baby Doe Tabor;” “ Photo Story of the Matchless Mine;” “Famous Aspen;” “Historic Central City;” “Mile High Denver;” “The Brown Palace in Denver;” and “The Melodrama of Wolhurst.”

Date: 03/19/07 22:00
Re: The Rio Grande Arrives in Glenwood Springs
Author: NDHolmes

Odd they both credit engine 187 with leading the train into Glenwood, as the Grande (even in D&RG form) never to my knowledge rostered any steamer numbered 187. My guess is they both have a common, incorrect source in their history.

Regardless, I really do enjoy reading your looks back at your own family history and that of the regions along the Grande. By all means, please continue!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0475 seconds