Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Nostalgia & History > prototype ATSF Hi-Level on the Lone Star -- Dec 76

Date: 05/05/07 17:03
prototype ATSF Hi-Level on the Lone Star -- Dec 76
Author: gcm

(1) I was riding the southbound Lone Star from Chicago-Houston when I got a chance for a few shots during the stop at the Santa Fe station in Oklahoma City.
One of the two experimental Hi-Level cars built by Budd for the Santa Fe in 1954 is behind the baggage car (I wish the train had moved up about a car length).
Later, after being removed from service, I believe both cars were stored at Beechgrove. Also both cars were later stored at and are (or were) for sale at Illinois Transit Assembly -- www.iltransit.com

(2) A comparison between the prototype and the regular production line Hi-Levels

(3) The sheds and trackage at the Santa Fe station in Oklahoma City

Date: 05/05/07 18:44
Re: prototype ATSF Hi-Level on the Lone Star -- Dec 76
Author: mario_puzo

Woha, I've never seen these cars before. Are the sides tapered at the top? Or is that just me.

-Jarrett

Date: 05/05/07 19:52
Author: TCnR

mario_puzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Woha, I've never seen these cars before. Are the
> sides tapered at the top? Or is that just me.
>
> -Jarrett

Ancient history, clear evidence that aliens beings brought intelligent life to the planet, oops wrong discussion site. The ATSF Historical Society had some articles including the early versions, that passenger car merchant site is interesting and there was a great website on the ATSF cars, I'll try to dig out the URL.

Date: 05/05/07 20:17
Author: alex14ramos

Thanks for posting the pics, I had always wondered about those hilevels. Does anyone have any photos of the interior?

Take Care,
Alex Ramos

Date: 05/05/07 20:45
Author: TCnR

Go to Google and type in 'Hi-Level cars', pages of links. Including the site on TrainWeb that I had mentioned previously. Also a link to Illinois Transit listing for two cars for sale, sounds like the first two prototypes. Museum material anyone?

Does anyone have any photos
> of the interior?
>
> Take Care,
> Alex Ramos

Date: 05/11/07 10:24
Author: RiverMP21

The two prototypes are indeed at Illinois Transit Assembly in Madison, IL. I saw both of them earlier this week while at ITAX on business.

Date: 05/11/07 12:01
Author: bisbeekid

RiverMP21 Wrote:
> The two prototypes are indeed at Illinois Transit
> Assembly in Madison, IL. I saw both of them
> earlier this week while at ITAX on business.

Has anything that entered that place ever left for reuse? It looks like little more than a way station for scrap on it's way to becoming new Kias and Hyundias.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.039 seconds