Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Nostalgia & History > last use of telegraph

Date: 05/06/07 16:58
last use of telegraph
Author: colehour

I was wondering when the telegraph was finally abandoned by the railroads. I realize that this probably occurred over a period of time, but which railroads were the last to use Morse?

I suppose that telephone and radio supplanted telegraph in most cases, but were there any other modes of communication used, e.g., teletype?

Date: 05/06/07 17:44
Re: last use of telegraph
Author: filmteknik

Date: 05/06/07 20:03
Author: GPutz

The operator at Rondout, IL, "OS'd" CMSTP&P trains to the dispatcher in Chicago Union Station in the late '70s by telegraph. Gerry

Date: 05/06/07 22:17
Author: SCAX3401

I believe the operator/agents along the Santa Fe branch thru Medicine Bow, Kansas used the telegraph into the early 1980's.

Date: 05/07/07 12:50
Author: CPRR

I was the original poster that started the other thread. My daughter and I built out of oak, wire and using bolts made a fine looking telegraph for her school project. She got an A

Date: 05/07/07 13:57
Author: wabash2800

I have been told by some Wabash railroaders in northern Indiana that that some operators had them into the 1960's but they used them to communicate with each other rather than for official business.I don't remember seeing theim in the towers and depots I visited in the late 60's and early 70's.

Date: 05/07/07 16:30
Author: RLcabin

When I was Amtrak Superintendent in Chicago in 1977, La Crosse WI on the Milwaukee Road was part of my territory. They still had a morse wire. They said they used it to keep in practice, also when the phone wire was down.

RL Cabin

Date: 05/07/07 21:23
Author: colehour

Thanks to all for the replies and my apologies for not doing a search first, which would have led me to the earlier thread.

I was recalling the story of a man I knew who once worked for a railroad, installing a new phone system. When they tried to call one operator on the new system, there was no answer. Another operator then telegraphed him and asked him to pick up the phone. I'm not sure when this happened, but my guess was in the sixties.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0349 seconds