Home Open Account Help 378 users online

Nostalgia & History > The "work-a-day" version of the Santa Fe......

Date: 05/13/07 13:35
The "work-a-day" version of the Santa Fe......
Author: ATSF100WEST

Long before Mike Haverty, four years after the introduction of the "Yellow Bonnet" era, I look back now with tremendous fondness at a shot that indicated all was right in the Santa Fe world. And whats not to like? First, take the power. Twelve thousand, five-hundred horsepower, spread over twenty axles, in notch eight, and nothing but "old paint", as far as the eye can see. And look what is first out......three operating mechanical reefers, in REEFER ORANGE dress, not this white cr*p applied to today's' "reefers on steroids". Chances are they are loaded with fresh fish from the Harbor, but who cares. And of course, intermodal. Wouldn't be the Santa Fe without it.

Sure, I was giddy over what Mike did (and I am so happy for KCS fans!); I wouldn't trade that for anything. But being of the "blue-collar" ilk, this is the Santa Fe that will always make the old "peepers" a bit moist, when I think about the "work-a-day" version of the Santa Fe......

Thank you for looking back with me!

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 05/13/07 16:11
Re: The "work-a-day" version of the Santa Fe......
Author: stevelv

Beautiful Bob! Hey did you and Joe B. ever discuss putting out a book on the AT&SF. I'm sure you guys could fill 2 or 3 books with all the great Santa Fe shots you two have taken in the last 30 or so years. Thanks for your posts on this board for all to enjoy.
Steve B.

Date: 05/13/07 19:46
Author: qnyla

Outstanding Bob! Great scan as well. I was celebrating my 13th birthday in October 1976.

Date: 05/14/07 07:47
Author: soolinehoghead

Beautiful!!

As always Bob, thank you for allowing us to look back with you.

Soo Line Hoghead

Date: 05/19/07 20:57
Author: ProAmtrak

Only time I saw the original Blue and Yellow paint was back in like 81 or 82 when me and my dad went railfannin' together for the 1ST time and seein' an eastbound head for Barstow on the race truck appearing underneath the 14 overpass, not a bad paint scheme, but Santa Fe was one of the greatest railraods of all time!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0372 seconds