Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Nostalgia & History > Phillip R. Hastings Photos Question

Date: 05/29/07 06:29
Phillip R. Hastings Photos Question
Author: PRose

Anyone out there know what kind of camera Dr. Phillip R. Hastings used in "In Search of Steam" or in general?? I've always admired his work.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Helling
PRose

Date: 05/29/07 07:51
Re: Phillip R. Hastings Photos Question
Author: wabash2800

I don't know but his talent had more to do with the photography than the camera. Are you referring to the all steam issue just put out by Classic Trains that featured Hastings and Morgan? I have always been a fan of Morgan's writing style too. That photo of the Wabash 2-6-0 crossing the seven span bridge is timeless.

Date: 05/29/07 08:00
Author: PRose

Yes, I just received the Classic Trains special edition by David P. Morgan and Dr. Phillip R. Hastings.
I agree that his talent exquisite. In this modern day of instant digital, I was just curious as to what camera he used to produce such wonderful timeless photos.

Bob Helling
PRose

Date: 05/29/07 08:05
Author: PaxtonCabin

David P. Morgan mentions Phil Hastings had a Rollei in their joint venture "The Mohawk that Refused to Abdicate", Kalmbach, 1975.

Ref: Epilogue, page 298, 3rd paragraph - "Phil with his Rollei, I with my notebook and a 1954 Ford."

I treasure my copy though I bought it used ($35) and the dust jacket was already gone. I wasn't even thought of when the original 33 articles were published (1954-58). And, yes, I'll purchase the latest reincarnations too.

-PRR 5711

Date: 05/29/07 15:03
Author: nycman

I think it is wonderful that Classic Trains is publishing these treasures once again, so that another generation of railfans can experience the talents of David P. Morgan and Phillip Hastings. Just an example from "Illinois Incident," DPM describes one of my favorite locomotives: "What the Rolls Royce is to motoring, France is to wine, and the Alps are to mountains, the New York Central's Hudson is to locomotives."

Date: 05/29/07 17:23
Author: NYCSTL8

"New York Central's Hudson ran away from us at 85 mph, a problem we did not encounter with Wabash Moguls"........Anyone know if this new issue is available on news stands or at book stores?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0366 seconds