Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Nostalgia & History > Santa Maria Valley on the NWP

Date: 06/08/07 07:45
Santa Maria Valley on the NWP
Author: Railbaron

I'm about halfway through scanning my NWP stuff and I ran across this shot. It was taken at Greenbrae at the rock quarry there (now condos I guess). For a while in he early 1970's Doug Morgan used the tracks at the quarry as a location to refurbish private cars (I got to ride a couple of his movements into Greenbrae). But while scanning my slides I found this photo that I didn't even know I had of Santa Maria Valley #21 taken in December 1972 at Greenbrae. I am stumped as to how it got there, got out of there, and/or whatever happened to it. Any information?

--------------------------------------- 

Update: Photo(s) deleted because there are thieves on Trainorders who download and then use other peoples' photos in books, or simply print and sell the prints, for their own enrichment!!! I don't mind downloading them for your personal enjoyment but I draw the line at selling them or publishing them and claiming they are yours. Sorry I have to do this but the actions of a few screw it up for all.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/20 12:47 by Railbaron.

Date: 06/08/07 07:59
Re: Santa Maria Valley on the NWP
Author: zephyrus

I believe Mr. Morgan or one of his associates owned the 21 for a time.

Z

Date: 06/08/07 08:09
Author: 1200v

It is currently in Astoria, Oregon. See http://www.astoriarr.org/

Date: 06/08/07 10:49
Author: drew1946

I believe that was at the time Mr. Morgan owned it but after it had gone to McCloud during the proposed "Shasta Hufr 'n Puff" days. Originally, I think there were three or four owners. After this period of time it went to Snoqualomie and the museum there and as I understand it, is now in Astoria awaiting a proposed restoration and use on the line out there.

Date: 06/08/07 11:02
Author: Steamjocky

Is this the engine that George Lavacot is involved with? I seem to remember that when George and the 4449 came to Bakersfield in 1989, he told me he was either involved or going to be involved with a SMVRR steam engine but I don't remember which one. I had a pair of diving bell type class lights I gave george to put on whatever engine he was working on or going to work on. I sure hope he used them.

JDE

Date: 06/08/07 13:34
Author: africansteam

Steamjocky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is this the engine that George Lavacot is involved
> with?

I believe that engine is SMVRR 205, a 2-6-2. See this link:http://www.smvrhm.org/steam.html

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 06/08/07 16:14
Author: px320

Steamjocky Wrote:
> Is this the engine that George Lavacot is involved
> with? I seem to remember that when George and the
> 4449 came to Bakersfield in 1989, he told me he
> was either involved or going to be involved with a
> SMVRR steam engine but I don't remember which one.
> I had a pair of diving bell type class lights I
> gave george to put on whatever engine he was
> working on or going to work on. I sure hope he
> used them.
>
> JDE

This is indeed the engine George has been involved with for a number of years. I took pics of it in the engine house at McCloud in July 1968 while on my honeymoon. Boy, is my wife patient she still lets me play with trains.

SG

Date: 06/08/07 22:20
Author: KMiddlebrook

Before the engine was moved to Snoqualomie, it was listed in Hemmings Motor New for $5-10k in the mid-70's. Somewhere in my files, I have handwritten notes my father had taken during a teleconversation with the owner. The conversation led to dreams of becoming a "rail baron". Despite my pleading with dad, that amount of money represented alot of lawn mowing and car washes!

Date: 06/08/07 23:24
Author: Steamjocky

africansteam Wrote:
> Steamjocky Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Is this the engine that George Lavacot is
> involved
> > with?
>
> I believe that engine is SMVRR 205, a 2-6-2. See
> this link:http://www.smvrhm.org/steam.html
>
> Cheers,
> Jack

Thanks for the info, Jack. That 205 was a good looking locomotive.

JDE

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0512 seconds