Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP U25B 3100 alive today

Date: 03/01/08 23:22
SP U25B 3100 alive today
Author: trainjunkie

It was kind of a gloomy, gray day at OERM in Perris today (Southern California for those of you not familiar) and while most museum visitors today were either fixated on the operating steam locomotive (VCRy 2-6-2 No. 2) or the swap meet being held today, I found something there that really took me back in time.

Museum personnel had moved a bunch of equipment to make room to run the steam train and I guess they used SP U25B 3100 to make the move. I found her on the lead coming off the San Jac branch just inside the museum property fence idling away waiting to finish up her work for the day. I haven't heard the sound of an actual U-Boat in years and a flood of memories came back to me as I approached the throbbing beast. I would have liked to hear her work as I had on numerous occasions in and around L.A. in the 1980s but even just sitting there idling brought me back to my early railfan days when U-Boats were prolific here and their sound was unmistakable.

Anyway, here's a few pics of her from today.

Cheers!

Mike

Date: 03/02/08 04:49
Re: SP U25B 3100 alive today
Author: dieselman

Pentrex did a short video about GE U-boats several years ago and SP-3100 was
included along with a ride in the cab it was great footage of an old worker boat.
Thanks for the update and photos!

Date: 03/03/08 09:40
Author: TomPlatten

Remember the 3100 is one of a kind since her sister 3101 is gone. They were "EMDed" electrically by the SP in an experiment which did not extend past those locomotives. IRM is supposedly nearing completion of a true U25B to service. Until then U boat lovers will have to be content with the occasional outing of the 3100. The museum would like to paint the old girl but will need to raise between 2and 3 thousand to foot the bill.

Date: 03/03/08 11:49
Author: Gateway97

What is the history of the IRM U25B?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0447 seconds