Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Nostalgia & History > wood side pasr exp reefers

Date: 07/05/08 13:49
wood side pasr exp reefers
Author: tp117

I model in N Scale. A model manufacturer has released wood side express reefers used on passenger trains. I'm interested in marks ATSF, PFE, and REA. I model late fifties to the start of Amtk. I'm looking for proof that at least a few of these cars lasted into the late 50s early 60s. A friend knows of a specific REA car that did. I also saw and have a slide of a wood side brace RFP express car in 1966 in service. But I remember none of the above reefer cars myself, altho I have some books that show wood express reefers on an SAL train in 1962. Any input from your memories would be helpful. Thanks.

Date: 07/05/08 14:25
Re: wood side pasr exp reefers
Author: rehunn

It would depend on what road you're modeling. It certainly would have been rare to
extinct on any of the western lines after the very early 50's.

Date: 07/05/08 14:31
Author: bnsfbob

There is a great book for modellers:

"Railway Express Agency-An Overview", V.S. Roseman, Rocky Mountain Publ Inc, Denver, Copyright 1992.

I don't know if the book is still in print but it may be available used. The book states that several classes of wood-sided cars were "off-roster" by 1965 (the REA rail business was in an overall death spiral about that time). The term "off-roster" frequently implies that the cars may have been out-of-service/stored for some time pending disposition. The book categorically states: "wood refrigerators were gone by 1967."

Bob

Date: 07/05/08 22:44
Author: ts1457

tp117 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I model in N Scale. A model manufacturer has
> released wood side express reefers used on
> passenger trains. I'm interested in marks ATSF,
> PFE, and REA. I model late fifties to the start of
> Amtk. I'm looking for proof that at least a few of
> these cars lasted into the late 50s early 60s. A
> friend knows of a specific REA car that did. I
> also saw and have a slide of a wood side brace RFP
> express car in 1966 in service. But I remember
> none of the above reefer cars myself, altho I have
> some books that show wood express reefers on an
> SAL train in 1962. Any input from your memories
> would be helpful. Thanks.

This is what you need:

http://geocities.com/rpcyc/v7.html

It's the most comprehensive work I've ever seen on express reefers. Unfortunately sold out at the publisher, but you should be able to find a copy somewhere.

Anyhow, no for late fifties early / early sixties for ATSF, but yes for REA and PFE, but just barely for PFE.

Date: 07/06/08 05:52
Author: tp117

Thanks all for the responses. I do have the REA book mentioned, and Off. Rwy Psgr Equipment registers for 1959 and 1966. Still, sometimes the later is not too clear. Based on your input I will not get the ATSF car. I used to model only PC/PRR/NYC but have branched out to include the passenger trains when i lived in the mid-west and west in the mid-fifties as a kid. And i like trains with a lot of head end cars.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0343 seconds