Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Nostalgia & History > Plan My Trip II

Date: 11/23/08 16:59
Plan My Trip II
Author: SurflinerHogger

The year is 1927, I am a widow whose husband has just past away in Butte, Montana where we lived for many years. I want to join both his and my family in Omaha, where he will be buried. I will also ship his remains via the same train(s). I am too grief stricken to deal with it, so please plan my trip.

Date: 11/23/08 18:36
Re: Plan My Trip II
Author: SCAX3401

I would have taken the Milwaukee Road all the way to Omaha, but yet again I am partial to the Milwaukee Road electric operations. Also a Northern Pacific train to Billings and then a Chicgo, Burlington & Quincy train to Omaha would probably be faster.

Date: 11/24/08 08:23
Author: hoghead22

SurflinerHogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The year is 1927, I am a widow whose husband has
> just past away in Butte, Montana where we lived
> for many years. I want to join both his and my
> family in Omaha, where he will be buried. I will
> also ship his remains via the same train(s). I am
> too grief stricken to deal with it, so please plan
> my trip.

UP south to Pocatello (or Ogden if there are through-cars) then straight to Omaha on THE U.P. mainline. Least amount of hassle.

Date: 11/24/08 08:51
Author: Mudrock

I second the all UP route south to Pocatello then east to Omaha. The quickest and most direct routing.

Chris

Date: 11/24/08 15:23
Author: AdamPhillips

I guess after 81 years, the smell would have dissipated. Not in a hurry are you? ;)

Date: 11/25/08 14:52
Author: OliveHeights

I am going to have to go with the NP-Billings-CBQ routings as the shortest and fastest. Although, I have the feeling I may be missing something, since this seems simple.

UP routing is longer and slower and the MILW couldn't accept human remains under wire for fear of reenergizing the body and having a Frankenstein type incident on the train.

Date: 11/26/08 09:56
Author: SurflinerHogger

Geez, I never thought of that. But think of the possibilities. Edward Van Sloan conductor, Colin Clive head brakeman and Dwight Frye as the flagman. What a trip that could have been.

Date: 11/26/08 10:50
Author: Waybiller

The closest Official Guide I have is from 1936, but might UP have had a through sleeper in 1927?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.04 seconds