Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Nostalgia & History > Cabin Creek OR

Date: 11/23/08 18:06
Cabin Creek OR
Author: coosbaytoday

Cabin Creek OR is located between Isadora and Oakland on the Siskiyou line. There is approximately 6 miles of rail line between the two, with the Metz Hill on and off ramps from I-5 giving limited access. Usually you walk in, but I know an engineer who stopped his train in there just to take pictures! Then published them in a book. We had to walk in, but took two cars and parked one at Metz Hill and the other at Isadora. That way we didn't have to walk the same tracks twice.
Here are three pictures, the first is a meter-maid, or what ever you want to call it, track indicator, on an old semaphore base. Then two semaphores, note they are not directly across from each other, like most were. All taken in May, two in 1979 one in 1982.
Todd Montgomery

Date: 11/23/08 18:37
Re: Cabin Creek OR
Author: Railbaron

The signals are just south/west of Cabin Creek with the eastward/northward signal (first one posted) being the approach signal for what used to be Isadora. The block indicator is at the old approach signal to Isadora but when the siding was eliminated that set of signals was also eliminated (a long time ago). Just past the signals posted here the tracks made a right hand curve and entered Cabin Creek. It was a very scenic little canyon, less than a mile long, and rarely seen by non-railroad employees. I really kick myself for never getting a photo in there.

BTW, the signals posted are around the same curve from each other and are located as they are for visibility as it's a fairly sharp curve right there.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0575 seconds