Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Nostalgia & History > Tannery Trains

Date: 12/02/09 16:15
Tannery Trains
Author: nspctrjn

The S.H. Frank Co. (Frank's Tannery) was a large tannery (largest on the West Coast) in my hometown of Redwood City.. It was started in 1872 along Redwood Creek and had it's own wharf for sailing ships and barges to bring the hides down from San Francisco and South San Francisco. Also some of the Oak tree bark was brought down from Humboldt and Mendocino Counties on ships. It is assumed the finished leather products went out by ship or barge also.

The 125 or so employees turned out over 4 tons of leather goods a day with another unit of measure being "over 3,000 sides a day" . The local railroad (Southern Pacific) (due to it's high rates??) does not appear to be used for the import of raw materials or the export of the above mentioned finished products. I am assuming this based on what I saw growing up in the area -the "Redwood Harbor Lead" was almost right behind the plant but no spur was ever built. For reference the spur could have gone through/near the present "Granite Rock " property from Seaport Blvd.. There are newspaper articles talking about the high rates the Southern Pacific charged back in the 19th century. So for whatever reason there was no "railroad" to the tannery.

The tannery did however have it's own "railroad". See photo 1. A "train" is shown leaving the receiving warehouse with a load of oak tree bark and heading toward the tannery proper in 1958. The bark is soaked in water "tannic" acid is produced with the hides soaked in this acid. Complete with a bell in the front this little "engine" appears to use gasoline for power. It appears to me to be a 1920-30's model. The railroad car looks sturdy and well used. In that the tannery was started in the "Steam" era (1872) -it had a 100 horsepower steam plant to power the "flat belt" machines it is possible the "railroad" was powered by steam in the beginning. The "railroad" car gives me the impression of being a lot older than the "engine".

The tannery was huge -being about a 1/2 mile long and it is easy to "see" the railroad tracks going every where the heavy raw materials (hides and tree bark ) had to be transported from one building to another. See photo 2 How extensive the railroad tracks were is unknown but it is not hard to think a mile or two at least. Behind the tannery in this photo is where Granite Rock is now located with Harbor Blvd. (now Seaport Blvd). being shown also. The modern Port of Redwood City is off camera to the left.

Photo 3 shows a couple of "ships" at the tannery's wharf.

Date: 12/02/09 16:24
Re: Tannery Trains
Author: mcfflyer

Wow. Talk about fascinating - and obsure! Try to run a tannery in Redwood City right now!

Lee Hower

Date: 12/02/09 17:12
Author: Edwardjb

You can't do ANYTHING, ANYWHERE, anymore, thanks to the lawyers. Frank's Tannery was built in Redwood City because there was easy access to tree bark (for tannic acid). If they didn't cut a few redwood trees, there might not be a new San Francisco (after the quake). There weren't thousands screaming "not in my backyard" back then. If there were, there might not BE a Redwood City. What has happened to us? If it's there, use it. BUILD an economy, don't tear it down. Unfortunately, we have torn ours down and it is nearly dead. When only the elite, and not the workers, can enjoy the fruits of LABOR. we have not long to survive.

Ed (feeling a little depressed about the economy tonight)

Date: 12/02/09 17:37
Author: africansteam

Great Story!

Thanks,
Jack

Date: 12/02/09 19:15
Author: TCnR

Locals tell me that Frank's Tannery was were Mervyn's dept store is/was. It's gone now too, the building is still there, but ToysRus is still there. Basically right next to hiway 101 where it crosses the creek, just south of Whipple.
The San Mateo County Library has an interesting collection of photos, including the fire and some interesting photos of the Port, here:
http://www.plsinfo.org/bitsofhistory/owninglibraryrc.asp

There's also links to some incredible photos of the SSF area in the way-back era.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/09 19:42 by TCnR.

Date: 12/02/09 19:56

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Locals tell me that Frank's Tannery was were
> Mervyn's dept store is/was. It's gone now too, the
> building is still there, but ToysRus is still
> there. Basically right next to hiway 101 where it
> crosses the creek, just south of Whipple.
> The San Mateo County Library has an interesting
> collection of photos, including the fire and some
> interesting photos of the Port, here:
> http://www.plsinfo.org/bitsofhistory/owninglibrary
> rc.asp

This photo shows where Bayshore Freeway cut through the tannery

Date: 12/02/09 20:50
Author: TonyJ

Thank you for sharing Bay Area railroad history of the most obsure kind. I enjoy learning about a rail operation I never heard of before.
Tony J.

Date: 12/02/09 21:53
Author: TCnR

That photo and the location of the bridge pretty well pins it down.

Date: 12/02/09 21:57
Author: west

Wow !!! Great story about an obsrure operation ! Thank you for sharing it !!!

The photo showing the locomotive is very interesting. An almost identical unit was at the now defunct Camino, Cable & Northern RR at Camino, CA. I don't think it was used there, I only recall seeing it sitting on top of a flatcar. It was 36" gauge. Apparently when the CC&N disbanded in the 1970's, the unit went to a private (train buff)owner. I've heard it still exists, but I don't know its current location or status.

My understanding was that the locomotive on the CC&N came from a tannery near Napa, CA. Also that it had a marine engine.

This brings up some questions: was there a business connection between the two tanneries; or was there a local commercial builder providing these engines; or possibly is this the same unit, that went to Napa after Redwood City ?

Another fun mystery !

Thanks again for posting this.

Don

Date: 12/03/09 09:23
Author: sphogger

I can remember driving by the place in the late 50's early 60's. Anyone have the date of the fire?

The old heads told stories of how awful the place was to switch because of the stench.

The Bay Area we know now was an entirely different place before transistors and silicon wafers were invented.

sphogger

Date: 12/03/09 10:40

sphogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can remember driving by the place in the late
> 50's early 60's. Anyone have the date of the
> fire?
>
> The old heads told stories of how awful the place
> was to switch because of the stench.
>
> The Bay Area we know now was an entirely different
> place before transistors and silicon wafers were
> invented.
>
> sphogger

The date Frank's Tannery burnt to the ground was June 14, l968

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0664 seconds