Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Nostalgia & History > Bringing up the rear...ATSF at Gallup, NM in July 1970

Date: 07/27/10 09:39
Bringing up the rear...ATSF at Gallup, NM in July 1970
Author: the_expediter

An eastbound under stormy skies. Wonder if I-40 had been built yet through Gallup.Taken with my old instamatic...Steve

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/10 15:54 by the_expediter.

Date: 07/27/10 13:27
Re: Bringing up the rear...ATSF at Gallup, NM in July 1
Author: SP7615

Is there a reason Santa Fe put the Cupola end toward the train, was it for visibility reasons.

SP7615

Date: 07/27/10 14:07
Author: Evan_Werkema

SP7615 Wrote:

> Is there a reason Santa Fe put the Cupola end
> toward the train, was it for visibility reasons.

I've read that Santa Fe considered the non-cupola end of the car to be the "front." I don't know that the railroad ever expended much effort to turn cabooses, and in later years they seemed to attached cabooses to trains with the cupola forward or back, however the car happened to be oriented.

Date: 07/28/10 06:47
Author: TCnR

I've been told that crews preferred the smokestack to be behind the cupola. Not sure what they did about it though. This may have been a remark brought forward from the days of assigned cabooses, perhaps for local jobs as well. They did a few things differently back then. Sometimes history gets out of context.

Date: 07/28/10 07:32
Author: Super_C

the_expediter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wonder if I-40 had been built yet through Gallup. It took about another 20 years before Gallup was bypassed.

Nope

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0357 seconds