Home Open Account Help 235 users online

Nostalgia & History > Industries in El Cajon, CA on old SD&AE (May 1969)

Date: 11/07/10 17:52
Industries in El Cajon, CA on old SD&AE (May 1969)
Author: the_expediter

This is Hartland Building Materials, just N. of W. Main St. along Marshall Ave, on the west side of the street. The back of this print reads "UP FB5, SDAE Branch, Hartland, Spring 1969." Anyone know what a FB5 is? I was only 14 at the time, wonder if I got this term from my friend Jim, the conductor on this run. Obliviously refers to the flat bulkhead? car, 50' would be my guess. Mr. Rehunn remembers these cars well. Not sure when this industry closed, prob. over 30 years ago. The 2 tank cars that I posted yesterday in black and white were just a few hundred feet down Marshall Av. (Right of this pic) on a spur that crossed Marshall. I don't remember the name of that Industry, but I remember a private car was parked in a fenced area there for years...prob. in late 70's or early 80's. Anyone else remember the name of that PV?- I'll keep an eye out for any prints I took of it, might be a slide somewhere.- Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/10 22:22 by the_expediter.

Date: 11/07/10 19:27
Re: Industries in El Cajon, CA on old SD&AE (May 1969)
Author: 2720

Hello Steve,
Interesting shot! The FB5 is probably the series or model of flatcar. A friend of mine rented that same building
for his body and paint business, I spent a lot of time there. When my friend leased the building, the spur was no longer there!
Later it was a heavy equipment dealer.
The private car you are thinking of is/was the "Lady Gaye Laurel", it was owned by the same person who owned
the manufacturing facility where the car was parked. They manufactured parts for the government and aerospace
industry. He spent time in the Federal Pen for making excess parts, billing the government and selling the parts
on his own.
He wanted to donate the car to PSRMA, myself and a few others went to look at the car. Complete hack job on the
interior, had that 'rolling bordello' look to it. The car was named for his daughter, Gaye Laurel, who was a
"Girlfriend" of Wayne Newton at one time! Later the car was stored in the SD&AE/SDIV yard on the remaining west
leg of the old wye. It made a special excursion from San Ysidro to Garcia(in Tijuana on the Tijuana y Tecate RR)
with Wayne and his Lady back in 1989/1990.
Your earlier post of the 2 tankcars seems to be the same siding where this private car was parked.
Mike

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/10 19:53 by 2720.

Date: 11/08/10 14:11
Author: NdeM

Steve,

Keep the SD&AE shots coming!

FB5 is a car code for a type of bulkhead flat car - I'd assume that type of car. On switch lists, FB's are bulkheads, followed by a number. I'd assume that the practice was the same back then on the SP.

Date: 11/08/10 18:59
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

natemuhl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Steve,
>
> Keep the SD&AE shots coming!
>
> FB5 is a car code for a type of bulkhead flat car
> - I'd assume that type of car. On switch lists,
> FB's are bulkheads, followed by a number. I'd
> assume that the practice was the same back then on
> the SP.

FB 5 means a flat bulkhead 50 foot car.... on the old SP

Date: 11/08/10 21:07
Author: the_expediter

No doubt I learned these then from my conductor friend Jim...40 years later was scratching my head. I had written FB5 on the back of these prints...Steve

Date: 11/09/10 01:54
Author: scottp

I remember seeing "Lady Gaye Laurel" on a San Diegan around 1977. Blue lettering on silver?
Hmmm... a lady in the neighborhood hoped to capture Wayne Newton for her daughter (something about taking brownies backstage at a concert, circa 1973...)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0464 seconds