Home Open Account Help 239 users online

Nostalgia & History > Two for T-2 Tuesday

Date: 11/09/10 11:18
Two for T-2 Tuesday
Author: GRNDMND

You would have to agree that based on the design of the T-2's and the fact that they were SD's and among the most powerful single engine locos of the time, that they would primarily be seen in multiple unit consists with other T-2's or C-C cousins. This was usually the case on both the SP and Rio Grande. There are of course those instances where this was not the case and they were used for other than there designed purpose. After all, they are a locomotive with the job of moving trains over the road. If there is a need other than heading up a heavy drag through a route laced with tunnels so be it. I seem to remember photos of Amtrak trains 5/6 with a T-2 on the point added as a helper or to assist for a failed Amtrak unit. They were also mixed indiscriminately with other locos of the non-T-2 persuasion. But I would bet, there were not too many occasions where a single T-2 was the sole power for a train. I can think of one scenario where it may have occurred, and that would be heading up a drag between Bakersfield and Fresno or Roseville on the almost flat line in California's Central Valley. I would like to present a view of a different single T-2 powered train. That is the SP's short-lived "Sun Pig" which has been discussed here before. Imagine my surprise when SD45T-2 9264 is the sole power on the e/b "CIPXX" shown here on 3/12/1985 at Spadra (between Walnut and Pomona, CA). Usual power was one of the newer GP40-2's or B30-7's or some combination of other B-B's. The other shot is of SD40T-2 8563 leading three veteran SD7's on a e/b "hauler" at Walnut, CA a couple of weeks later on 4/06/1985, illustrating the mixing with other non-T-2 units. These were pretty radical looking locomotives (for an EMD) when they were first released and now they are all but gone, except for handful on short-line rr's. Thanks for looking back!

KC

Date: 11/09/10 13:02
Re: Two for T-2 Tuesday
Author: Lone Star

The strangest use of an SP/SSW T-2 that I ever heard of was a one-time event back around 1988. Someone had the great idea of using one of the big units on a scrap rail retrieval train on the Exeter Branch between Fresno and Bakersfield. One day, this train (T-2, flats and a DRGW caboose) was tasked with retrieving some rail and miscellaneous bits and pieces on the Visalia Electric! Supposedly, the train made it from Exeter as far as the Kaweah River before carefully backing up to return to Exeter. Don Bowen managed a shot or two of the big unit sitting in front of the barn prior to returning to work on the SP. Talk about overkill!

John Ford

Date: 11/09/10 15:19
Author: railstiesballast

One Tunnel Motor on the local along the gulf coast near Aransas Pass, Texas, about 2003, hundreds of miles from any tunnel and any grade over 1%. Just another SD-40 to Omaha.

Date: 11/09/10 20:35
Author: UPNW2-1083

Kevin is right, it was quite rare to see a T-2 by itself on a train. Here's the 9315 comming off the Palmdale cutoff at Pepper ave. (West Colton, Ca.) with a short train from June 1978.-BMT

Date: 11/09/10 20:50
Author: GRNDMND

As railstiesballast said, in later years, they were just another SD40/45 (depending on any rebuilding) on the roster.

KC

Date: 11/09/10 23:27
Author: Fizzboy7

Great thread! The single T-2 idea wasn't something that crossed my mind until now.
My only experience with this (and it's cheating) would have been a lone SD40T-2 returning back to Bena after pushing a manifest over Tehachapi, circa 1996. No train, but also no other units.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0533 seconds