Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP on PE

Date: 03/31/11 08:03
SP on PE
Author: SP2778

SP 2336 & train leaving Ninth St. in Colton, arriving PE yard in San Bernardino, Entering Rialto Ave, On Rialto Ave.,Crossing the ATSF and heading west to Rialto. Bonus: A quick view of Santa Fe's last excursion on Cajon Pass.(From old 8mm film)

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/31/11 08:14
Re: SP on PE
Author: TomPlatten

What a treasure! I am sure with modern technolgy, there is probably a way to enhance those images!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/11 16:47 by TomPlatten.

Date: 03/31/11 08:37
Author: SGillings

Thanks for posting! Great footage!

Steve

Date: 03/31/11 08:47
Author: sphauler

FANTASTIC! Thanks for sharing.

Ryan
San Bernardino, CA

Date: 03/31/11 11:42
Author: cforssi

Is that steam engine at the very end 4-8-4 Santa Fe #3759? It looks like footage from the Last Steam Train on the Santa Fe. Farewell to Steam is the name of the movie.

Date: 03/31/11 12:14
Author: DNRY122

Until I get the Atavachron perfected, movies like this are our gateway to the past. That shot of the train taking a curve on Rialto Ave. make me think, "They're just about to cross the Short Way" (ATSF/UP bypass track, used to avoid going through "B" Yard. Now used by Metrolink IEOC trains). Judging from the sign on the rear car, this was a Pacific RR Society fan trip. Many thanks!

Date: 03/31/11 14:31
Author: 90mac

Outstanding!!!
That 2336 is a purdy little gal.
Tom

Date: 03/31/11 14:54
Author: Steamjocky

And I was living in Colton when that excursion happened and didn't even know it. Maybe next time.

Thank you very much for sharing.

JDE

Date: 04/01/11 08:50
Author: cforssi

Agt-Highland Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had the pleasure of being on both trips..The
> engine had a whaleback tender and was from the
> T&NO..
>
> The 3759 Last Steam to Barstow in 1955 was the day
> before my
> 26th birthday!!..I have nice slide sets of both
> trips..
>
> Also the BNSF California Division officers used a
> slide of the
> 3759 on a runby on the cover of their Birthday
> cards for the
> year 2009..

Why don't you do us all a favor and show us your slides on the "Farewell to Steam" event that you visited? PLEASE!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/11 08:51 by cforssi.

Date: 04/01/11 20:38
Author: mcfflyer

One thing that amazes me is that when the train is running on city streets, the headlight is extinguished! I know that many photos from the 40s and 50s show the headlights off on steam locomotives, but running on a city street? Sure a different era!

Lee Hower - Sacramento

Date: 04/03/11 19:45
Author: DNRY122

Regarding the headlight on the locomotive (not turned on). This was back before air conditioned automobiles and SUVs with megawatt sound systems. Drivers would have heard the locomotive (and it probably had the bell ringing).

A check of the Pacific Railroad Society "50 Years of Railroading in Southern California" shows excursion #85 "Steam on PE" in 1954 on June 20.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.047 seconds