Home Open Account Help 383 users online

Nostalgia & History > The Vassar Playhouse

Date: 06/20/11 21:02
The Vassar Playhouse
Author: santafe199

During the 9 years I worked for the Santa Fe out of Emporia I had the opportunity to cover (photograph) just about any RR subject within a reasonable driving radius. That didn't always mean I knew what I shooting, as witnessed by this short photo study. The 'Vassar Playhouse' was a tourist place that would grab your attention, especially if you were a railfan. But my 'hit & run' photography style prevented me from actually stopping at the place to investigate. It was always someplace I would 'check out later', but never did.

However, between Google & Art Gibson I now have a little story to tell. The playhouse consisted of a retired MP caboose and a few unknown (to me) passenger cars. It was located on a little rise between KS hwy 268 and the Lamont Hill Golf Course & Resort along the south edge of Pomona Lake, which is somewhat centrally located between Lyndon & Ottawa on the south and Burlingame & Baldwin City on the north. It could be spotted a ways off by anyone driving on 268 between US 75 and Ottawa about 23 miles to the east. Besides the obvious, the playhouse was also the location for a memorable Tri-Chapter meeting of the NRHS. One special night in the late 70s NRHS members from Kansas City, Topeka & Wichita gathered to take in a fine presentation on Southern Railway steam by Frank Clodfelter, who had just authored the book "Fogg & Steam". Mr. Clodfelter was a long time Southern Ry. hogger who passed away in 1984. But he had another noteworthy distinction. He was the last engineer to run in passenger service over Saluda Grade. Saluda was the steepest mountain mainline in America with parts of the grade peaking at just over 5%. On December 5, 1968 he ran train #28 from Hayne, SC to Asheville, NC & #27 back the same day. At present no trains are running over Saluda...

1. Vassar Playhouse on February 27, 1982 in a view looking northeast.

2. Vassar Playhouse again on September 13, 1980 in a view looking due west.
(2 photos near Vassar, KS)

3. Saluda, NC on the Southern Ry. mainline between Asheville, NC & Hayne, SC. This shot is looking east from the Hart St. overpass on October 3, 1980.

all photographs by:
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/22 19:48 by santafe199.

Date: 06/21/11 05:04
Re: The Vassar Playhouse
Author: mopacrr

Met Frank Clodfelter in February of 75 when I rode the Asheville Salisbury train a few month before it came off. Real nice guy He gave me a Sou ETT and I gave him a Mop TT. He asked me if I wanted to ride in the cab from Salisbury back to Asheville,but had to pass since I was going to catch the Crescent the next day.

Date: 06/23/11 15:50
Re: The Vassar Playhouse
Author: Sneebly

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Besides the
> obvious, the playhouse was also the location for a
> memorable Tri-Chapter meeting of the NRHS. One
> special
> night in the late 70s NRHS members from Kansas
> City, Topeka & Wichita gathered to take in a fine
> presentation on Southern Railway steam by Frank
> Clodfelter, who
> had just authored the book "Fogg & Steam". Mr.
> Clodfelter was a long time Southern Ry. hogger who
> passed away in 1984. But he had another noteworthy
> distinction.
> He was the last engineer to run in passenger
> service over Saluda Grade. Saluda was the steepest
> mountain mainline in America with parts of the
> grade peaking at
> just over 5%. On December 5, 1968 he ran train #28
> from Hayne, SC to Asheville, NC & #27 back the
> same day. At present no trains are running over
> Saluda...
>
> Lance Garrels
> santafe199

In 1985 the Topeka Chapter was host to the annual Tri-chapter meet of the KC, Topeka & Wichita chapters of the NRHS. It was sometime in May 1985 IIRC. At that time the restaurant was called The Vassar Junction Restaurant. Our speaker that year was Bill Purdie, retired Master Mechanic of the Southern Railway Steam Program. He had various stories about having to make parts from scratch. One of the more interesting stories he shared was on some excursion the 4501 hit an automobile at a grade crossing and the person involved said she would have to pay for the damage to their car. He countered with something like...how common do you think parts are for this engine and to make such things? All the parts were a bit of paint on the pilot. I am pretty sure WAG Jr was there but I did not know him yet at that point. I believe that one of these cars is in Parkville MO at what has been several restaurants over the years. Not sure if it is in service now (about to be flooded by Missouri River anyway) The car was trucked in.

Sneebly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/11 15:55 by Sneebly.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0776 seconds