Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Nostalgia & History > What were these signal lights used for?

Date: 09/01/11 12:29
What were these signal lights used for?
Author: Brian894x4

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but I'm curious what these type of signal lights were used for as a practical matter? I know in general red means stop or danger, etc. But I was hoping to hear from someone who actually used these on a railroad or saw them being used.

I've guessed they were to replace the red globe kerosene lanterns, but a few things about their design throw me off. First of all, it seems that if the light is set down on the ground, it would be hard to see with the globes turned down. If used has a carry signal, it seems with the color they are limited in the types of signals that could be given.

Could red also be used to give movement signals or is white the only color? Seems I've seen photos of red lanterns being used to give train signals other than stop, but not sure.

Were lights like these ever hung off the back of cars or cabooses? Used by flagmen maybe?

My last question is that it seems like today, all color lanterns have completely dissappeared, other than blue for its obvious use. Is that true?

Thanks for any insight!

Brian McCamish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/11 12:39 by Brian894x4.

Date: 09/01/11 13:04
Re: What were these signal lights used for?
Author: dt8089

I've seen these used by crossing watchmen. Dan

Date: 09/01/11 13:12
Re: What were these signal lights used for?
Author: dispatcherX

I think some railroads operating rules allow for a red light to be used to supplement a conditional stop board (used to mark the boundary of maintenance of way work limits) at night. The light could be hung on the sign post along with the stop board just like car shops would display a blue light along with a blue flag. Another possibility is that they
may be used as an end of train marker.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0327 seconds