Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Nostalgia & History > UncleDudley

Date: 02/06/12 21:57
UncleDudley
Author: xtra1188w

My dad was a photography nut who liked to experiment with the relatively new and advancing technology of taking pictures back when he was a young man. Professionally he was a boomer telegrapher. He once told me that he'd worked for a total of 17 different railroads. He started working as a "brass pounder" when he was 15 years old, he was raised in Sherman Texas.

In this image which was a self portrait he is seen working for the UP in Laramie Wyoming. This would probably be in September 1923, possibly 1924. When dad wrote letters back to his mother in Sherman or to a girlfriend he called himself "Uncle Dudley" for some now unknown reason. The text that was scanned from the back of the photo was what he wrote. It describes the details of his job for Uncle Pete way back then pretty well. I hope that y'all will enjoy this look back to the way it was back then.

Con

Date: 02/06/12 22:33
Re: UncleDudley
Author: TonyJ

Timeless! Great story.

Tony J.

Date: 02/07/12 05:42
Author: Out_Of_Service

nice photo ... was his last name DooRite ... that was a joke there Mr Con ... i have maybe a handful of stuff from my dad back in his early years 40's 50's 60's ... he retired in 81 ... wish i had the memorabilia you have of your pop ... you're a lucky guy to have those memories on film and paper

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/12 16:43 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 02/07/12 15:14
Author: nycman

Cool, Con, back when railroading was great. Thanks for posting this history of your dad.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0331 seconds