Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Nostalgia & History > Chessie, Chicago, Chnow..

Date: 07/29/12 20:07
Chessie, Chicago, Chnow..
Author: WrongMain

Er, snow. With the whole country sweltering from a torrid summer, I thought I would share some shots that might cool us all down, Chessie System in the snow in Chicago. I can remember when I took these pictures I was freezing my tookas off and wishing for a nice hot summer day. Of course, I was young and stupid back then; now I'm old and.....

1.GP40-2 4373 has just been delivered from EMD and sits in the snow at Barr Yard. The trucks haven't gotten dirty yet so it was hard to get a proper exposure off those dark blue sideframes. Jan 29, 1980

2. I don't think you would see this in today's railroading world. This GP40-2, 4193, is leaving Barr Yard, coming down the South Open towards the interlocker at Riverdale. The enginehouse guys managed to get just enough snow off the engine so that the crew could get aboard. This was shot on Feb 9, 1979. That winter was one of the snowiest that I can remember.

3. U30B 8221 has managed to get into the North Open at Barr Yard before giving up the ghost. It looks like the crew had the train from hell, what with the doors being open on both 8221 and the GP30 trailing it. I don't think that the Chessie System was very fond of GE products and the ones that they had they assigned to the C&O (served them right, LOL) Jan 31, 1979

Date: 07/29/12 20:19
Re: Chessie, Chicago, Chnow..

4. This is a rarity in Chicago, two SD40-2's. Chessie had only twenty of these and they seemed to stay back east. So, to get the 7602 and 7601 together was really a find. Here they are leaving Barr Yard on Jan 18, 1983.

5. The GP15T's were delivered in October, 1982 with the intent to use them exclusively on the New Rock Sub where they bumped the GP30's and GP35's that were the regular power back then. Of course, things change and the "Pocket Geeps" were found everywhere on the Terminal. Here's the 1513 passing under the IC overhead going east to East Chicago with a small train. Jan 18, 1983

6. New SD50 8560 has pulled out of Barr Yard with the head end between Riverdale and Dolton. I'm not sure why the headend brakeman is on the steps; maybe he needs the fresh air. Under normal conditions and train lengths, this train would not be doubled out this far. Anyway, I think he was as cold as I was. Jan 31, 1984.

Date: 07/29/12 21:36
Author: aussiehinz

Loved all those. Sure brought back a veritable flood of memories for me. Thanks.

Date: 07/29/12 22:26
Author: tq-07fan

I like these pictures. That first one is just so new and clean.

Jim

Date: 07/30/12 06:45
Author: CR4103

Snow snow snow, i cant wait to see it again!!! I like winter too, id rather freeze my rump off than sweat and roast!!

Thanks for the memories?!!

Posted from Android

Date: 07/30/12 07:08
Author: swampfox

pic three reminds me of sitting between dolton tower and the mittal connection on the ns waiting to deliver the bottle train. fresh snow would melt under the bottles if you sat for any length of time leaving a distinct outline of the train. kinda miss winter but am not about to leave the warmth of se georgia in the near future........

Date: 07/30/12 17:43
Author: RuleG

CR4103 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Snow snow snow, i cant wait to see it again!!! I
> like winter too, id rather freeze my rump off than
> sweat and roast!!
>
> Thanks for the memories?!!
>
> Posted from Android

Me too. You can always put on more clothes, but there's only so much you can remove...

Date: 07/30/12 17:58
Author: 3rdswitch

Nice memories, you don't have to be young to be stupid, I just spent five hours waiting to photograph exSanta Fe units in the rain ;-)
JB

Date: 07/30/12 20:34
Author: 90mac

MEOW!!!
90mac

Date: 07/30/12 21:32
Author: Gateway97

Thanks for those! Really liked those Chessie GP15Teeees. Could we call them Branchline Tunnel Motors (BLT's for short)?

Date: 07/30/12 21:45

3rdswitch Wrote:
> Nice memories, you don't have to be young to be
> stupid, I just spent five hours waiting to
> photograph exSanta Fe units in the rain ;-)
> JB

I saw the results of your waiting, well worth waiting for. As for being old and stupid, I always chalk it up to experience....yeah, I confused my wife with that one, too! She always asked me, "how do you hold the job you do?" Now that I'm retired, she says I've found my true calling....

Date: 07/30/12 21:49

Gateway97 Wrote:
> Thanks for those! Really liked those Chessie
> GP15Teeees. Could we call them Branchline Tunnel
> Motors (BLT's for short)?

Back when i worked for Chessie, the BLT term was already taken. We had a trailer jet (remember those?) called the BLTT, the Baltimore trailer train. We called it the Bacon, Lettuce, train.

Date: 07/31/12 03:21
Author: Gateway97

WrongMain Wrote:
> Gateway97 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Thanks for those! Really liked those Chessie
> > GP15Teeees. Could we call them Branchline
> Tunnel
> > Motors (BLT's for short)?
>
>
> Back when i worked for Chessie, the BLT term was
> already taken. We had a trailer jet (remember
> those?) called the BLTT, the Baltimore trailer
> train. We called it the Bacon, Lettuce, train.

That's funny! I never heard that term for the BLTT! I'd hate to ask what they called the SLTT...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.089 seconds