Home Open Account Help 385 users online

Nostalgia & History > Anybody remember the original Auto Train?

Date: 10/14/12 19:11
Anybody remember the original Auto Train?
Author: LFM159

Here's The Louisville section at Brooks, Ky. just minutes after departure.

Date: 10/14/12 20:09
Re: Anybody remember the original Auto Train?
Author: IC_2024

Awesome shot! Rode it w/ my dad and were held behind an L&N freight derailment- over a day late! Got an apology letter from Eugene Garfield, president of Auto-train, too. L&N was a cool road, but they had crappy track in the 70's.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/14/12 23:37
Author: ctillnc

> crappy track in the 70's.

At the time, L&N employees complained bitterly that overlord SCL was draining the L&N of operating cash. Things leveled out after SBD was created.

Date: 10/15/12 05:39
Author: mopac1978

Shots of the Louisville section are rare, as this operation only lasted a couple of years. Shots with just Auto-Train equipment alone are even more rare, as after just a short time the decision was made to combine the Louisville section with Amtrak's Floridian which ran the same route. In the summer of 1977 I rode from Chicago to Jacksonville on the Floridian, and after our Amtrak stop at Louisville we went a few miles south to the Auto-Train terminal and doubled up with the Auto-Train equipment, to continue on as one long train dubbed "Flauto-Train" by railfans at the time.

Date: 10/15/12 07:29
Author: LX15840

We rode the AT south from Louisville in April '77. The power was 2 AT U-boats and an Amtrak E8 B unit! The track was rough until we were south of Montgomery, then was smoother but 60mph dark territory until Waycross. There were very few AT passengers on the train, so I predicted that this would be the only time we would ride this train. It also took 24 hours, whereas you could drive it in 15 hours.

Date: 10/15/12 07:36
Author: bluesboyst

is Brooks close to the L&N Golf Course? I saw it back in 74 when at the golf course.....

Steve

Date: 10/15/12 08:43
Author: ctillnc

Ironically, by 1979 when the Auto-Train experiment had ended and the Floridian was operating regularly with an F40/E8 combo, it kept very good time on the L&N.

Montgomery-Waycross was (and still is) 300 miles of continuous dark territory. It was no faster than 59 mph but let's not quibble about the extra 1.

Date: 10/15/12 13:07
Author: wmry202

rode it in 1972, one week after hurricane agnes hit. ( lorton to sanford ) 2 hour delay in florence s.c. due to flooded track. all i remember is a mixed bag of coaches and sleepers. fun trip

Date: 10/15/12 15:20
Author: LFM159

bluesboyst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> is Brooks close to the L&N Golf Course? I saw it
> back in 74 when at the golf course.....
>
> Steve

About 1 mile north.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0547 seconds