Home Open Account Help 247 users online

Nostalgia & History > Southern Pacific, Santa Fe, Colton and Cajon, March 77

Date: 11/04/12 01:30
Southern Pacific, Santa Fe, Colton and Cajon, March 77
Author: captrr

After a particularly arduous eight month deployment to the Pacific and Indian Oceans, I was back stateside in early March '77. My '73 Vega did not take eight months of inactivity kindly. So with a new battery and an oil change I set off to break it back in to railfanning...with a day trip to Colton Tower.

1. First activity of the morning was freshly painted Santa Fe SD40 #5008, westbound.

2. The motive power visible in the distance in the previous shot clattered across the diamond shortly after #5008's train cleared. SD45T-2 #9349 was on the point.

3. With a lull in the action I headed to SP's nearby yard and was rewarded by lensing a pair of Alco Century 630s idling. This was the first, and only, time I ever saw Century 630s on the SP.

Date: 11/04/12 01:35
Re: Southern Pacific, Santa Fe, Colton and Cajon, March

4. Another view of the Yard Limit trackage confined Alcos.

5. I returned to Colton Tower just in time to shoot a former Cotton Belt GP20, now GP20E #4138, heading a westbound freight.

6. The weather began to deteriorate, but not before I got SD45 #9088 crossing the Santa Fe mainline at Colton Tower.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/12 01:42 by captrr.

Date: 11/04/12 01:41

7. The weather appeared much better towards Cajon Pass, so I relocated. The clouds and rain followed me north, but not before I shot Santa Fe GP20 #3021 on the point of an eastbound at Blue Cut.

8. Final view of the day was #3021 rounding the curve approaching Stein's Hill. Loved that freight consist...lots of boxcars...fallen flags...no graffiti...and the sound of all that Santa Fe motive power echoing off the Mormon Rocks. Those were the days!

Date: 11/04/12 02:58
Author: Olympian-Hiawatha

What a fantastic variety of box cars in the last picture. I miss the SP.

Date: 11/04/12 22:49
Author: mwbridgwater

Great photos, thanks for sharing! Note the wood bracing added to the East and South sides of the tower in the first two photos. The whole thing wouldn't be there much longer.

Mark

Date: 11/05/12 20:52
Author: LongSPeak

Great series. Your images really transport us back in time. I can almost smell the creosote and diesel fumes. Thank you!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0409 seconds