Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Nostalgia & History > ATSF Arcadia in Happier Times

Date: 11/11/12 07:16
ATSF Arcadia in Happier Times
Author: lamta_jay

Here are 2 shots of trains through Arcadia during happier times

#1 Is a PRS Excursion using Santa Fe car @ 1509 which is now at the PSWRR museum in Campo, Ca. May 5, 1979.

#2 in 1990 when 3751 led the excursion to Bakersfield. This was the return trip. Taken by my son since I had made other plans

#3 Amtrak's Desert Wind eastbound in December of 1980

Thanks for looking

Jay

Date: 11/11/12 12:20
Re: ATSF Arcadia in Happier Times
Author: DNRY122

That second photo reminds me of the old show business saying, "Give the people what they want and they'll turn out in droves." I was one of the passengers on the 3751 segment from Barstow to Los Angeles. There were so many folks out watching the special go by that some of the ladies on the train practiced their "Queen Elizabeth II waves" to return the enthusiastic waves from the spectators. My very first main-line train ride as a boy ended at the Arcadia station; my parents took my brother and me into Union Station on the PE and we rode back on Santa Fe train 42, the San Bernardino Local, which in those days was still powered by a high-wheeled Atlantic (4-4-2) oil burner. Now we (at least some of us) look forward to traveling through here on trains powered by electricity.

Date: 11/11/12 17:10
Author: PasadenaSub

Wow, that was quite a turnout for the 3751 in Arcadia. I passed by on the 210 that day, after getting the train in San Dimas and then rushing to Pasadena for my next shot.

Thanks for the memories,

Rich

Date: 11/12/12 13:37
Author: OFNEGATIVE

I recall seeing 3751 in Bakersfield in 1990, I was 6 years old and my father took me, great times!

Date: 11/13/12 15:08
Author: iliketrains

The #1509 was PACKED that trip. It was hard for me to find a seat. It was fun going around the AT&SF circle in LA (out Fullerton, back Pasadena). The #1509 is still in active service, available for charters on the San Diego & Arizona Railway operated by the volunteers of the Pacific Southwest Railway Museum (PSRM) in Campo, CA.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0391 seconds