Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Nostalgia & History > An old wooden crossbuck in Texas -- Aug 76

Date: 11/11/12 14:20
An old wooden crossbuck in Texas -- Aug 76
Author: gcm

I always liked these wooden crossbucks. There used to be a million of them in Texas,but by the 70's they were becoming hard to find.
This one was on the SP Cameron-Rosebud branch (mostly all that was left of the San Antonio & Aransas Pass line to Waco).
Except for a couple of miles in Cameron,this line was soon abandoned after this shot.

Date: 11/11/12 15:23
Re: An old wooden crossbuck in Texas -- Aug 76
Author: lynnpowell

Great photo! It looks like the bottom of the post rotted off and the sign got "replanted" two or three times!

Date: 11/11/12 19:02
Author: BlackWidow

Do you remember exactly where it was on that line?

Date: 11/11/12 19:31
Author: spengr80

Many years ago, I was lucky enough to acquire the old wooden crossbuck that used to stand at the "Postal Xing" at Caliente, Ca., on the SP Valley Line. The south facing side was very weather beaten...almost like it was sandblasted. But where the words RAILROAD CROSSING were painted, it had protected the wood, and stands out in relief. The north side of the sign which never was exposed to the sun, is still in fairly good shape. I was able to find, in an SP Standards book, the correct dimensions of the vertical post, and had a friend of mine, who works for the studios, make the post for me. It now stands proudly in my back yard amongst my other RR collectibles.

Date: 11/11/12 20:46
Author: railstiesballast

Note that the San Antonio Division SP engineering department has applied a USDOT crossing identification tag to the post.

Date: 11/12/12 14:49
Author: SCL1517

Crazy the difference that facing south can make! I'm in the sign business, and reflective signs wear out MUCH faster facing south. That's why 3M, Avery, etc have their test decks facing south. Georgia used to have its share of those old wooden jobs too--thanks for sharing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0404 seconds