Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Nostalgia & History > Watercolor Wednesday: Canada Colorized

Date: 11/14/12 04:11
Watercolor Wednesday: Canada Colorized
Author: railstiesballast

Years ago, in a mild pursuit of black and white photography, I bought several small paperback photo books published by (IIRC) British Modelers of North America that featured steam and early diesel era images of Canadian scenes. This scene is my watercolor of one of those images, a double-headed CP on a brilliant summer day, probably working downgrade or stopped as there is no exhaust plume. TO readers familiar with the CP line may be able to locate it, the slightly arched structure over the tunnel portal is a highway overpass. I had to guess at the colors of the landscape. In particular I tried to make the river with the light blue seen in many streams that drain from glaciers with a silt load of rock flour. This is not painted over the print, but is on watercolor paper guided by my sketch of the outlines of the original image and then done by observing the print.
If anyone can fill in more details of this image, or of the publications, they would be a good resource for TO Nostalgia and/or Steam boards.

Date: 11/14/12 04:39
Re: Watercolor Wednesday: Canada Colorized
Author: rschonfelder

That photo is on the cover of the first book done by the group that you mentioned. I am pretty sure the train is eastbound uphill. It has just come through the unlined tunnel through an outcropping on Mt. Stephen IIRC. That is not a highway overpass but rather a rock fall/snowshed, something endemically familiar to railfans and railroaders in the area.

Rick

Date: 11/14/12 07:11
Author: Locotrol2

Nicely done! Eastbound up Field Hill as Rick mentioned. Today the snowshed is gone, replaced by a slide fence,and where the lead locomotive is, there is the "slide shed" which is a solid concrete structure, which protects the track from the Mt. Stephen & Cathedral Mtn slide path.

As for the lack of exhaust, may have been stopped for a lift or set out at the old Monarch Mine.

Locotrol2

Posted from BlackBerry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/12 11:25 by Locotrol2.

Date: 11/14/12 12:21
Author: railstiesballast

Thank you both for the corrections, I'll update my notes.

Date: 11/14/12 13:58
Author: rrartist

Very nice Sir! I started a Rock Island #5100 this afternoon. Time will tell how this beast will turn out.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.033 seconds