Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Nostalgia & History > Some Random Shots

Date: 11/16/12 14:43
Some Random Shots
Author: tehachcond

While going through some old files, I ran across these three pictures.

1. UP SD-45's coming into old Summit on Cajon Pass. These units were kind of rare birds on the UP.

2. 4449 climbing Cajon Pass on its return from an anniversary celebration at Los Angeles Union Station. The "great race" with the UP 8444 was in progress when I took this shot. Unfortunately, my picture of the engines running side by side wasn't that great.

3. UP 8444 climbing Cima Hill in the late afternoon.

Thank you for looking, and as always, comments welcome.

Brian Black
Retired SP/UP Conductor
Castle Rock, CO.

Date: 11/16/12 14:55
Re: Some Random Shots
Author: spsd45x

Pic #1: The drop-off on track one with the zoom is great! Nice shot.

Peter M
Murrieta, CA

Date: 11/16/12 15:09
Author: Notch16

Nice trio!

I recall that UP wasn't happy with how the "Greyhound" stripes accentuated the issues of visual level variations on cab and possibly Centipede tender. (I think everything's been leveled out now, hasn't it?)

Also I guess it was a bear to keep clean. But dang. What a great scheme on a fine engine, and what a train that was. Both steam consists, actually. Matchless.

Funny how even historic operations have their "never going back again" components, and in this case, it's those lovely and harmonious passenger consists. That still happens, thank goodness. But for the era pictured, these operations were a high water mark.

~ BZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/12 16:35 by Notch16.

Date: 11/16/12 16:06
Author: 3rdswitch

Very nice Brian.
JB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0398 seconds