Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Nostalgia & History > Signal Sunday: Location help needed...

Date: 11/18/12 07:21
Signal Sunday: Location help needed...
Author: santafe199

A recently completed scanning session garnered me a plethora of 30-35 year old images, some of which I don't even remember shooting. My Logan box titled: "Misc Locations (scenes & stuff)" has now been scanned to the tune of about 600 slides. I've already posted a couple of Wichita, KS scenes in a Nostalgia thread of the same name. Here I have a shot for Signal Sunday whose location would ordinarily be easy to find. But as I mentioned in that same thread all my Santa Fe timetables are still boxed away, having been moved all over SoDak & the Big Sky country before coming back home with me a couple of years ago.

This signal was located on Santa Fe's Eastern Division 3rd District. This was the mainline from Ottawa, KS south into northeastern Oklahoma. And this main had passenger service to & from Tulsa right up to the inception of Amtrak in 1971. I believe most (or all) of the trackage is gone between Ottawa & Chanute. This (also long-gone) semaphore shows a MP location of 100.1, so I'm guessing I was somewhere close to Richmond, or maybe Garnett, KS? ID alms for the needy will be most appreciated...

1. AT&SF ABS westbound (south as the crow flies) semaphore signal at MP 100.1 between Ottawa & Chanute, KS, taken on July 10, 1981. The signal is displaying "stop" and I believe my partner & I were chasing an EB local which we were ahead of. Was that partner you, Mr, Chief Way? This would be the only train I would ever chase on that line...

Thanks for the help!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/22 16:10 by santafe199.

Date: 11/18/12 08:22
Re: Signal Sunday: Location help needed...
Author: bnsfbob

This signal was located just west of Colony, KS. It was adjacent to a public road crossing so that may be why you came across this particular signal.

Bob

Date: 11/18/12 09:04

bnsfbob Wrote:

> This signal was located just west of Colony, KS.
> It was adjacent to a public road crossing so that
> may be why you came across this particular
> signal...

Ahh... Thank you, sir!

Lance

Date: 11/18/12 10:40
Author: mmisin2

The original abandonment was from the original Ottawa depot to Iola. If memory serves me correctly, it was later cut back from Iola to Humboldt, KS. Watco runs the remaining line and still serves the cement company in Humboldt. Track may still be in place to South Iola but I am not sure. Watco via the Southern Kansas and Oklahoma Railroad shows service only to Humboldt.

Date: 11/18/12 11:14
Author: mopacrr

Since you have the signa, post a picture of the local.

Date: 11/18/12 12:14

mopacrr Wrote:

> Since you have the signal, post a picture of the
> local.

Ummm... gee, thanks. Now I gotta go digging (& scanning again... ;^)

Lance

Date: 11/18/12 23:41
Author: MyfordBrowning

A note on Santa Fe signal numbering. The last number is not the tenth of a mile, but in this case it indicates that it is the first westward intermediate signal (or a signal with a number plate) between Mile Post 100 and Mile Post 101.

Cliff

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0395 seconds