Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Nostalgia & History > Action at the Santa Barbara Station

Date: 11/21/12 21:12
Action at the Santa Barbara Station
Author: choochoocharlie

One of my favorite hangouts for train photos was the station in Santa Barbara. Here are three of my favorite photos taken there in the '70s.

1 - The action begins as the train orders are up at the station for a West train that can be seen with its headlight on as they approach the SB station. Photo taken on December 1st, 1973.
2 - A nice photo of the station taken from the top of my Volkswagen bus looking thru the little park on the Southside of the tracks. There are many passengers awaiting the arrival of Amtraks Coast Starlight which will be arriving very shortly. Photo taken on December 20th, 1973.
3 - Now the real action shot of a west train led by U25B #6713, with U33C #8611, GP9 #3765, GP35 #6678 and another GP35. Photo taken on January 17th, 1976.

C.C.Chas.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/12 22:08 by choochoocharlie.

Date: 11/21/12 21:27
Re: Action at the Santa Barbara Station
Author: espee51

Another wonderful set of photos from Santa Barbara, Charlie!!!

I believe that the first photo is of orders for the approaching westbound train, with the State Street crossing in the photo, and buildings on the right beyond the crossing. I don't think there were any buildings on the west side of Chapala, just the Moreton Bay Fig tree...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Nick

Date: 11/21/12 22:01

Yes I was wondering about that building myself that shouldn't be there for an Eastbound train. Probably is the Bekins building just East of Helena St. I have shots of Eastbound trains too at night and thought it was one of those when I wrote the description of it. I used the Eastbound shots in my SPH&TS Ventura program, so you are right and this is a shot of a Westbound train. I can claim old age on this one. My fingers are typing faster than my brain is working on the photo description. THAT is my story, and I am sticking to it.

But thanks for jogging my memory and straightening me out. Now it all makes sense. (I hope?)

C.C.Chas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/12 22:02 by choochoocharlie.

Date: 11/21/12 22:05

This is definitely an Eastbound train. They are just starting to move after waiting for a West train which is now approaching the station too. The photo that I thought I had used, but didn't look at it well enough and realise my mistake, even after wondering what that building was that shouldn't have been there on the right for an East train. This photo taken on September 24th, 1972.
Sorry about that, Chief!

C.C.Chas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/12 22:12 by choochoocharlie.

Date: 11/22/12 07:44
Author: WestinAshahr

That first one is classic!

Date: 11/22/12 09:02
Author: bradleymckay

WestinAshahr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That first one is classic!

Yes. Well done!

Allen

Date: 11/22/12 10:07
Author: ButteStBrakeman

espee51 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another wonderful set of photos from Santa
> Barbara, Charlie!!!
>
> I believe that the first photo is of orders for
> the approaching westbound train, with the State
> Street crossing in the photo, and buildings on the
> right beyond the crossing. I don't think there
> were any buildings on the west side of Chapala,
> just the Moreton Bay Fig tree...
>
> Happy Thanksgiving!
>
> Nick

That tall white building on the right was the Bekins Moving Company.

V

SLOCONDR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds