Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Nostalgia & History > Raton Pass in better days.....

Date: 11/27/12 05:05
Raton Pass in better days.....
Author: Super_C

Here are three images of the same Santa Fe scooter, Train #198, on April 19, 1993.

When the train arrived in Trinidad, CO, it was split into two sections for the westward trip over Raton Pass. Once both sections arrived in Raton, NM, they were combined again into a single train and it was sent on its way to Los Angeles.

#1. The first half of #198 led by GP60M #125 on the north track about to enter the east portal of the Raton Pass Tunnel at Wootton, CO.

#2 The second section of #198 led by C40-W #879 on the south track at the same location as picture #1.

#3. Train #198 accelerating westbound out of Raton, NM after being reassembled into a single train.

Date: 11/27/12 05:11
Re: Raton Pass in better days.....
Author: valmont

John:

Yes, they were better days, thanks for reminding us with this trio.

any news on the Amtrak re-route?

Date: 11/27/12 07:22
Author: mojaveflyer

Nice shots, John! Did they keep extra power in Trinidad to take the second section over the hill or split the road power they had?

Date: 11/27/12 07:58
Author: qman

WOW !!! (OK, I still use ciche's, occasionally)

qman

Date: 11/27/12 07:59
Author: Super_C

mojaveflyer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice shots, John! Did they keep extra power in
> Trinidad to take the second section over the hill
> or split the road power they had?

This dates back to the days of York Canyon coal trains running to Chicago. I believe there were some units assigned to Raton as helpers to get coal trains over the mountain, and also as power for the "Trinidad Turns". This power set in picture #2 is Raton based.

JCL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/12 08:01 by Super_C.

Date: 11/27/12 08:40
Author: 3rdswitch

Nice set. The good days up there for sure.
JB

Date: 11/27/12 09:21
Author: WAF

93 was a good year to be around Raton Pass

Date: 11/27/12 09:56
Author: ATSF100WEST

Beautiful shots, my friend.

Thanks for the sharing the great memories, John......

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 11/27/12 10:10
Author: ATSF100WEST

Just a further comment - John is right on the helpers (the image of the 879 West at Wooten). The symbol would have been the K-RARA - (Helpers - Raton to Raton).

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 11/27/12 11:00
Author: coach

Great photos. I wish the BNSF was so very busy that they needed this line, perhaps holding it as a "Z" line for their highest priority TOFC/COFC freights. What I don't know is: can the tunnel handle doublestacks?

Date: 11/27/12 11:42
Author: Evan_Werkema

coach Wrote:

> What I don't know is: can the tunnel
> handle doublestacks?

I've heard that the tightest clearance on the line isn't the tunnel, but some truss bridges further south. And no, the line isn't cleared for double stacks.

Frailey's article on the Super C in the May 1986 Trains mentioned that back when the concept was being tested, they sent a test train via Raton and found it was more than an hour slower overall versus test trains run via Amarillo in spite of having more 90mph track (the test trains ran with ATS-equipped passenger units). That was for a short, overpowered train of trailers that ran in one section and didn't double the hill.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.049 seconds