Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Nostalgia & History > Whoever made the decision, made the right one

Date: 12/04/12 15:17
Whoever made the decision, made the right one
Author: WrongWayMurphy

The top print was the suggestion of EMD for the joint M-K-T/Frisco
Texas Special passenger train, St Louis to San Antonio.

The bottom print was as actually painted for the power for the premier train.

Wonder how that was handled? Would the Katy have had their own art dept make the
change, or do you suppose the Katy saw the top print, shuddered, and told EMD to go back and try again?

Date: 12/04/12 15:44
Re: Whoever made the decision, made the right one
Author: zephyrus

Could be that EMD had multiple concepts they presented. You rarely offer a client just one version of an idea.

Z

Date: 12/04/12 15:49
Author: tomstp

Yep, multiple.

Date: 12/04/12 16:55
Author: IC_2024

zephyrus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could be that EMD had multiple concepts they
> presented. You rarely offer a client just one
> version of an idea.
>
> Z

EMD had highly skilled staff artists and an entire dept devoted to creating these memorable paint schemes for their new diesels.

As a matter of fact, I take no real exception with the first scheme presented... maybe not as nice as the classic we all know and love, but well thought out and aesthetically pleasing--unlike most schemes found these days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/12 17:18 by IC_2024.

Date: 12/04/12 18:01
Author: dcmkris

I agree there were probably multiple ideas submitted, even in this era in my industry (Emergency response vehicles) we usually give at least 3 ideas to a customer to pick from. Even with that it's fairly rare when one scheme is picked without any changes.

Now as for which one is better I like them both. Actually with a few minor changes the first one is the Pere Marquette E-7A paint scheme. With a few moderate changes you can even see Rock Island Rocket scheme. Just my opinion but I think either way would have been fine.

Kris

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0359 seconds