Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Nostalgia & History > A retirement Party on the Visalia Electric

Date: 12/04/12 21:55
A retirement Party on the Visalia Electric
Author: dlbowen

On December 15, 1985 a retirement party was held for long time trainman John Mowery. Most of the preparatory work was done by VE student and admirer John Ford. John is TO member Lone Star. The celebration was at the VE office in Exeter, CA

1. E L Metlen "Met" and the VE crew, "His Boys" Met was the last VE GM and was the one that negotiated the guaranteed annual wage for the non union crew.
2. Conductor Jerry Archer, trainman John Mowery and Engineman Charles Kirkman. All are gone except Jerry Archer. When Archer retired in May 1990 the end was very near for the VE as he was the last guaranteed annual wage employee. The VE ceased operation in early September 1990.
3. John Ford, Kyle Brehm and John Mowery wit a great decoration on the cake.

Don Bowen
Saint Helena, CA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/12 08:15 by dlbowen.

Date: 12/04/12 22:00
Re: A retirement Party on the Visalia Electric

4. After dark and after the party there was a photo shoot of the VE SW900E 1197. Lighting by Vic Neves and Kyle Brehm. 1197 at entrance
5. 1197 in the enginehouse
6. Charles Kirkman by 1197

Don Bowen
Saint Helena, CA

Date: 12/04/12 22:01

7. 1197 outside the engine house.

Don Bowen
Saint Helena, CA

Date: 12/05/12 00:35
Author: Steamjocky

Great photos, Dr. Don. I wish all retirements could be documented that way.

What ever happened to the 1197? Where did it end up? Working for another shortline I hope.

JDE

Date: 12/05/12 06:29
Author: CimaScrambler

Very interesting set of photos, Don.
I did a search on SP SW900 1197 and came up with this http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,179673

Kit

Kit Courter
Menefee, CA
LunarLight Photography

Date: 12/05/12 10:44
Author: RplusLJetService

Great night shot. I remember seeing SP switchers between Visalia and Goshen Jct.

Adam

Date: 12/05/12 13:48
Author: Lone Star

Don, Thanks for posting these, at least all of them but the one with my ugly mug in it! Seriously, looking back at the three VE retirement gatherings brings me many fond memories. You and your wife were instrumental in the ones for Charles and Jerry and I'm very glad we were able to honor our friends in some small way. As a side note, the night of the party in your photos became extremely foggy. When Vic and I drove back to my place in Clovis, it was a dicey adventure. Also, my wife and I had become first time parents only a month prior to the party date. That little issue made the planning/execution for the whole affair dicey in a very big way!

John Ford
Clovis, CA (still)

Date: 12/05/12 16:26

John, Do you have a date for the Kirkman party? I have a print but would like to find the negative.

Don Bowen
Saint Helena, CA

Date: 12/05/12 18:10
Author: DynamicBrake

Thanks for sharing these photos Don. Looks like a great bunch of rails gathered together for a great time. Photo 7 is a knockout BTW.

Kent in Carmel Valley

Date: 12/05/12 20:40
Author: Lone Star

Don, I'll have to dig for that date! I know Vic would have it, too. I'll be in touch!

John

Date: 12/06/12 00:39
Author: Steamjocky

Thank you, Kit. I appreciate the info.

JDE

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0449 seconds