Home Open Account Help 243 users online

Nostalgia & History > A River Runs Through It

Date: 12/11/12 10:25
A River Runs Through It
Author: Auburn_Ed

In the scene with a Model T being driven on the roadbed of a railroad (thru a tunnel and over a trestle)......bridge is lettered Great Northern (though I thought the book's location was Missoula and Lolo),what was the railroad involved? IMDB doesn't help. It looks as if there are catenary poles along the trestle. Filmed in 1991-92, where might this have been? PX320, you here?

Ed

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/12 10:28 by Auburn_Ed.

Date: 12/11/12 10:53
Re: A River Runs Through It
Author: trainmin

The story takes place in Missoula, but it wasn't filmed there. It seems to me it was filmed in Bozeman and the surrounding area, but it's been a long time since I've seen it.

Date: 12/11/12 11:20

Got it. Though filmed around Bozeman, I figured the tracks scenes could have been done about anywhere. That's what piqued my curiosity. Maybe it was old MILW right of way, just had a GN sign put up.

Ed

Date: 12/11/12 11:21
Author: MWP

I'm not sure about the railroad scenes, but the town scenes were filmed in Livingston. A lot of the river fishing scenes were filmed in the Gallatin river south of Bozeman on the way to Big Sky. The Livingston Depot had a great display of the filming and locations a few years back

Date: 12/11/12 12:58
Author: fbe

What about 16 Mile canyon on the abandoned Milwaukee Road? The MILW was abandoned by the time of the filming and the ROW is owned by Ted Turner.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 12/11/12 19:23
Author: josie

the bridge is at pray montana south of livingston

Gary Wamhoff
Laramie, WY

Date: 12/11/12 20:13

Thanks a lot. Wish I'd known that a month ago, when I was back that way. Without looking it up, was that MILW?

Ed

Date: 12/11/12 20:56
Re: A River Runs Through It, Ed
Author: fbe

Well, 16 Mile canyon and the Eagles Nest tunnel is ex MILW and inaccessible. The line south of Pray is the old NP Yellowstone Park line and is visible from nearby roads.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 12/12/12 13:38
Author: josie

there is a church camp right where the bridge is you can drive to it and walk across it, it forget what road you take near pray to get to it

Gary Wamhoff
Laramie, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0333 seconds