Home Open Account Help 249 users online

Nostalgia & History > Couldn't Help But Smile

Date: 12/17/12 19:58
Couldn't Help But Smile
Author: GrandeGold

While vacationing in Colorado in August 1992, I stopped at Colorado Springs for lunch and some gasoline. Afterword, I and spotted this beautiful GP30 parked in the Santa Fe yard. The stylish EMD appeared to have been well maintained, showing a sense of pride by its owner.

At that moment, I understood the phrase 'Santa Fe All The Way!'

James Belmont
Salt Lake City, UT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/12 20:57 by GrandeGold.

Date: 12/17/12 20:34
Re: Couldn't Help But Smile
Author: fireman74

I sure do miss the GP-30's. I grew up in Connellsville PA where the West slope of the Sand Patch grade started. I saw them in Chessie, B&O and C&O paint. In the day it was nothing to get a cab ride in the yard for hours on end. I did get to run (under a close eye) a set of GP 30's in the yard and over the hump. That was a blast for a 10 year old. Thanks for the good memories jump start.

Date: 12/18/12 05:29
Author: ClubCar

fireman74 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I sure do miss the GP-30's. I grew up in
> Connellsville PA where the West slope of the Sand
> Patch grade started. I saw them in Chessie, B&O
> and C&O paint. In the day it was nothing to get a
> cab ride in the yard for hours on end. I did get
> to run (under a close eye) a set of GP 30's in the
> yard and over the hump. That was a blast for a 10
> year old. Thanks for the good memories jump start.

I too miss seeing those GP-30's on the B&O here in the Maryland area. The one good thing is that the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad in Cumberland, Maryland (on the former WM main line) operates a GP-30 painted in WM scheme and it looks and sounds great. The WM never purchased or owned any GP-30's as they did not need them at the time since all of their older locomotives were so well maintained. Thanks for posting your Santa Fe GP 30 photo, it looks great. And a Merry Christmas to you and yours.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 12/18/12 12:23
Author: Evan_Werkema

atsffan Wrote:

> Beyond the light package changes and the A/C unit,
> there's not a lot different from when it rolled
> off the assy line - externally that is.
>
> (Now let's see just how far off I am on this
> statement when Evan weighs in)

Nah, the sight of a shiny Santa Fe GP30 fills me with such joy and goodwill that I just can't get the old nitpick-o-matic to fire up. ;^)

Date: 12/18/12 16:32
Author: Gateway97

Chico is smiling at that one I'm sure! It's the best freight scheme evah. They always seemed pretty clean in service but that one is cherry.

Date: 12/19/12 17:32
Author: GP30Frank

Wow! It just looks great. Thanks, James

Date: 12/20/12 19:20
Author: Gonut1

Its OK! However I prefer mine in Reading Green and Yellow! They sure look OLD by todays loco standards.
Gonut

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0319 seconds