Home Open Account Help 233 users online

Nostalgia & History > NWP tunnel fire San Rafael (newspaper)

Date: 02/23/13 15:14
NWP tunnel fire San Rafael (newspaper)
Author: SP3201

An article on the massive tunnel fire in 1961.

Date: 02/23/13 18:00
Re: NWP tunnel fire San Rafael (newspaper)
Author: colehour

I recall people talking about the fire when I arrived in Sonoma County in 1971. I don't remember if the tunnel was ever rebuilt.

Date: 02/23/13 18:02
Author: WAF

colehour Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recall people talking about the fire when I
> arrived in Sonoma County in 1971. I don't remember
> if the tunnel was ever rebuilt.

Yes, about 1967

Date: 02/23/13 18:04
Author: rswebber

Remember it well, lived in San Rafael at the time - and 2 blocks away from the tunnel when they reopened it - we were hoping to see more of the firetruck that fell into the hole. That area became part of a park and ride lot, and a friend lived in the apartments you can see in the background of one of the photos. We spent a lot of time all over that area, closest thing to a park near by, and a direct route to the Civic Center where the Library was located (another historic day was when I was at the Library, and there was a hostage taking and the Judge was killed near the main entrance).

Once the tunnel was repaired, we were able to hear the train, and see it if we were fast enough. The entrance was below (road) grade, and that long entrance grade was mostly hidden, even though we were about 100' above it (and a block away). Another friend's house had the ROW as part of their back yard. Not quite the same as living in riverside, and having the Zephyrs & commuters roaring by, but it was still nice to hear (even if it was SP).

Date: 02/23/13 21:00
Author: stash

A length fight between the government and SP about rebuilding it. SP eventually had to rebuild.

Date: 02/24/13 16:45
Author: WP-M2051

I remember this fire well. SP used it as an excuse to end mainline service to Tiburon (the Tiburon line was abandoned the day Tunnel 4 was reopened in 1967). They sure saved a lot of money with timber lined tunnels; the NWP alone had at least 5 tunnel fires that closed portions of the main line. Tunnel 27's fire in the '80s killed the North End (even now #27 still has a section of timber!) although it's all moot now.

Date: 02/24/13 18:12
Author: Amtkrd4man

My dad was a fireman in San Rafael at that time. Can remember that day he had to go in on his day off and help fight the fire from the north end of the tunnel. Crazy sad day.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/25/13 05:01
Author: DFWJIM

Any idea what happened to the kids who started this fire? They must be in their mid 60's now.

Thank you

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0425 seconds