Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Nostalgia & History > BN 3000 in Nebraska

Date: 08/13/13 21:15
BN 3000 in Nebraska
Author: twjurgens

Earlier today, CNW8531 posted a couple photos of BN 3000 pulling a hotshot in Illinois.

Here's a couple more of that engine in less glamorous but interesting service. These shots were taken on June 10, 1988 and the 3000 and a friend are handling the Wymore Local. At the time of these photos, the Wymore Local was a down one day, back the next turn from Lincoln to Wymore. The first photo was taken at Wilber, Nebraska which is about 35 miles southwest of Lincoln. The second is at Dewitt (home of Vise Grip tools)which is 7 miles south of Wilber. I don't recall what the exact speed limit for this line was then but it was leisurely enough to allow several photo opportunities. This was always an enjoyable chase!

Date: 08/14/13 06:24
Re: BN 3000 in Nebraska
Author: SCKP187

Those are 2 really nice shots. I like everything about them. Is this the line that took the CB&Q to Concordia? In the 2nd shot, looks like the train has cut the crossing and are going to do some switching in the elevator track. Thanks for showing.
Brian Stevens

Date: 08/14/13 08:50
Author: millerdc

This is the line through Dewitt, Beatrice and down to Wymore. Years ago Wilber was the home of Wilber's Weiners.

Date: 08/14/13 09:35

SCKP187, this line ran from Crete to Wymore. The Wymore line connected with the Chicago/Denver main at Crete. Trains originated in Lincoln or Wymore. Until the 1950's, Wymore was a division headquarters with trains radiating in all directions.

The Concordia Branch left the Wymore Division main line at Odell, NE, about 15 miles west of Wymore. Trains for this subdivision originated in Wymore or Concordia, KS.

There's an inexpensive book available from South Platte Press that does a great job of describing the history of the Wymore Division, in case you are interested. It has lots of photos and a history of each of the subdivision. The division covered much of southeast and south central Nebraska.

Date: 08/14/13 09:37

Millerdc, I think that Wilber is called the Czech capital of Nebraska too, isn't it? They have an annual celebration that draws quite a crowd.

Date: 08/14/13 10:41
Author: millerdc

twjurgens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Millerdc, I think that Wilber is called the Czech
> capital of Nebraska too, isn't it? They have an
> annual celebration that draws quite a crowd.
They just had the annual National Czech Festival.

http://www.nebraskaczechsofwilber.com/czechdays.html

Date: 08/14/13 18:26
Author: upkpfan

That is right about the Czech capital of NE. just like Wilson, KS is the Czech capital of KS. The two city's interchange thru the year. upkpfan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1234 seconds