Home Open Account Help 251 users online

Nostalgia & History > WAG Wednesday: Little Ranger to Winfield!

Date: 12/04/13 05:10
WAG Wednesday: Little Ranger to Winfield!
Author: santafe199

On September 21, 1958 the NRHS gang in Topeka took another fan trip. Art Gibson was just out of the US Army so both Gibsons (he & father Bill), Howard Killam, Marion Perrin & Clayton Tinkham were along. There were also a few other Topeka fans along that have now escaped Art’s memory. The gang rode #5, the “Ranger” from Topeka down to Emporia, transferred to motorcar train #25, the “Little Ranger” and rode down the Flint Hills through Matfield Green & El Dorado to Winfield, KS. That’s right, sports fans! Matfield Green & the Kansas Flint Hills had Santa Fe passenger service as late as 1958.

On this trip, as in many past excursions, Bill shot the slides while Art handled the black & white. So there is a LOT more where this fantastic piece of history came from. Looks like another trip to Topeka is in store for me. (Like I ever need an excuse.) Gotta help Art dig up some negatives and a couple of little spiral notebooks. Until then, enjoy this scene of “The Little Ranger” at Winfield, KS!

1. AT&SF M-176 has arrived with #25 at the Middle Division passenger depot in Winfield, KS. It will be turned and sent back to Emporia in a little while. It’s September 21, 1958. This pair of doodlebug trains (known as the “Little Ranger”) is not long for this world. The service will be discontinued within a couple of weeks.
(Photo by William A. Gibson Sr.)

Here’s to the Topeka NRHS boys from the 1950s for this special look back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Art Gibson (wag216)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/22 20:57 by santafe199.

Date: 12/04/13 05:44
Re: WAG Wednesday: Little Ranger to Winfield!
Author: PRose

Wonderful shot. Is the Winfield depot still standing? Never been there.

Roberto
PRose

Date: 12/04/13 05:56

PRose Wrote:

> Is the Winfield depot still standing?

I believe this Middle Division depot was gone by the mid-1970s... The old Eastern Division depot downtown still stands. Last time I was through Winfield it was vacant, but it had been a Gambino's pizzeria.

Lanzo

Date: 12/04/13 06:00
Author: Evan_Werkema

PRose Wrote:

> Wonderful shot. Is the Winfield depot still standing?

That one isn't. This is where it used to stand, south of 14th St:

http://goo.gl/maps/pnJIv

Santa Fe's other Winfield depot, the freight house on the former Moline Sub. (now South Kansas & Oklahoma RR), still stands trackside at Main St:

http://goo.gl/maps/f485P

Date: 12/04/13 07:05
Author: monaddave

santa fe 199 writes... <<It will be turned and sent back to Emporia in a little while>>

Refresh my memory LFG. Where would they have taken that doodlebug to turn? I'm trying to remember if there was a wye track west of Winfield Jct off the Southern Kansas to Wellington?? Or maybe a wye/ turntable down in the Winfield yards?
DAF

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/13 07:36 by monaddave.

Date: 12/04/13 07:52

monaddave Wrote:

> ... Where would they have taken that doodlebug to turn?

I had that same question in my mind a couple of years ago, so I took a gander at Google Maps. There is clear evidence of a track that ran off the 3rd District main in the vicinity of the Middle Division depot, connecting (eastward) with the Eastern Division 4th District main, somewhere in the block between Menor & Manning Sts and 5th & 6th Avenues. (I think the original MP branch also tied in here somewhere, but I'm not sure how it did.) From the 176's position in Bill's shot the motor would have backed up the 3rd District main (eastward), then entered the Eastern Division yard and proceeded to the east end of the connection mentioned above. Then it was a simple matter of backing (west) down that connection onto the 3rd District main right at the Middle Division depot. It would be pointed east, ready for departure for Augusta, El Dorado, Cassoday & Matfield Green (ouch... the memories you & I missed!) & ultimately Emporia. My memory of Winfield's physical layout is really fuzzy, but I'm thinking this connection had been removed by the time you & I were riding up & down these tracks in 1978...

DJ Sir L

Date: 12/04/13 08:32
Author: monaddave

santafe199 Wrote:
<<gander at Google Maps. There is clear evidence of a track that ran off the 3rd District main in the vicinity of the Middle Division depot>>

I see that now. Thanks for getting me to look closer. I vaguely remember seeing a MOP local sitting on that track waiting to go south on trackage rights to Ark City.

>>>this connection had been removed by the time you & I were riding up & down these tracks in 1978..>>>

Ahem, riding?? Don't know bout you, I was working.
DAF

Date: 12/04/13 08:59

monaddave Wrote:

> Ahem, riding?? Don't know bout you, I was working.

Oh yeah... my mistake. I usually RODE in the engine cab, or waycar cupola. I forgot the you ran along the right-of-way with your trains.
NO WONDER you stayed in such good shape...

;^)

Date: 12/04/13 09:07
Author: The_Chief_Way

when Amtrak took over the Texas Chief May 1971
Winfield was no longer a stop, so that depot may not
have stayed much longer.

Date: 12/04/13 11:32
Author: ddg

Wasn't there a Frisco crossing there in the same area? Seems like it had just been torn out in the late 70's. Maybe they used it somehow to turn.

Date: 12/05/13 20:10
Author: Cumbres

Yes the Frisco came through there too. Believe it was the line that went southwest out of Beaumont, KS toward Oklahoma. While Gambino's was in there on the wall was CTC type model board with the lights on it showing the Santa Fe, Frisco and Mop all crossing each other. Was neat to look at. Never took a picture unfortunately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/13 20:11 by Cumbres.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0668 seconds