Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Nostalgia & History > "Lake Mary" Pullman sleeper

Date: 01/06/14 06:35
"Lake Mary" Pullman sleeper
Author: colehour

While watching "Some Like It Hot" yesterday I noticed that Curtis and Lemmon were boarding a Pullman sleeper named "Lake Mary." It caught my attention since I will be in Lake Mary, FL, this weekend.

Was this a real Pullman sleeper or was it simply re-lettered for the movie? It may even have been a studio creation.

I did a couple of searches but did not find any information on the car. My guess is that it ran on a railroad that served Florida, if it was indeed a real Pullman car.

Date: 01/06/14 06:58
Re: "Lake Mary" Pullman sleeper
Author: rswebber

I thought the one in the movie was a prop - the real LAKE MARY was a Plan 2585-D 10-1-2 - assigned to the Floridian (as built).

Sources say it was filmed on CLOVER COLONY - still extant in TN.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/14 07:03 by rswebber.

Date: 01/06/14 08:28
Author: korotaj

Coronado Hotel in San Diego was used for the Florida Hotel.

Date: 01/06/14 12:59
Author: colehour

Thanks for the information to both of you. I thought that I recognized the "Hotel Del" although it has been nearly 40 years since I was in Coronado.

Date: 01/06/14 15:52
Author: retcsxcfm

colehour Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While watching "Some Like It Hot" yesterday I
> noticed that Curtis and Lemmon were boarding a
> Pullman sleeper named "Lake Mary." It caught my
> attention since I will be in Lake Mary, FL, this
> weekend.
>
> Was this a real Pullman sleeper or was it simply
> re-lettered for the movie? It may even have been a
> studio creation.
>
> I did a couple of searches but did not find any
> information on the car. My guess is that it ran on
> a railroad that served Florida, if it was indeed a
> real Pullman car.

Lake Mary was a 10-1-2 built 1923,plan 3585,lot 4725.
Weather this car was used in the movie,I don't know.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Date: 01/06/14 16:37
Author: rswebber

UJ, this is a bit of contention. The specifications say specifically a 2585-D. Tom says 3585. What we found is that we're both right. This was a very transitional year/era for Pullman - this is when the 2nnn changed to 3nnn - where the length changed, the plating changed, trucks changed, etc. And what Pullman did - and they did this throughout their history - is build some to one and some to another.

The spec says 2585-D for ST. MARYS, but the car cars says 3585. My database goes by the specifications, Tom's by the car card. And that one is likely right - but this illustrates a major problem in terms of researching Pullman & the construction of cars. Pullman's records bifurcate - there is the construction record and there is the operation record. (And then there is the Marketing Dept. where the drawings more often than not showed proposed cars rather than real ones), advertising dept., Color & Design Dept. etc. EACH had their own list of cars, EACH had their own sets of drawings. This explains why the Newberry & the Pullman Library have the same Floor Plans - but to different cars. The Newberry basically got most of their material from the Operations area - and Pullman. We got Engineering dept. and Pullman-Standard. So not only do you have the natural dichotomy created by the various departments but you also have the two companies (post 1948-49). In addition, you have the Pullman Palace drawings (which are spread amongst Smithsonion, Princeton and others); the Woodruff/Jackson & Sharp (that Pullman bought out - the rest of J&S went to ACF), Barney & Smith (that built some cars for Pullman) and their records gone with the Dayton flood, etc. etc. - you have a mess.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0385 seconds