Date: 09/24/14 22:17
SP Ocean View Line - "Baden cut off"
Author: fmaffei

This map is before the 1907 by pass
Thanks to Ray Wille

Date: 09/24/14 23:34
Re: SP Ocean View Line - "Baden cut off"
Author: TonyJ

The cut off remained there to the end of the old mainline.

In a related subject, my friend Joe Strapac asked if SP ever ran a "bypass passenger" train with McKeens... assuming SP ran the trains. By this I mean did SP have trains leave San Francico on the original mainline, head south (railroad east) to the cut off, head over the cut off to the new Bayshore cut-off and back up to San Francisco? None of my early SP Coast Line ETTS show any type of "by-pass" trains going either way.

I know SP did run passenger trains south from S.F. to Redwood Junction and over the Dumbarton Bridge and then up to Oakland.

Date: 09/25/14 00:48
Author: hogheaded

>>continuing what I was blabbering about in the Rup spur thread : http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3530216

Aha! That is the best map that I've seen showing the junction at the old SSF station. That surely is an odd trackage arrangement.

All this, plus some off-thread help from FMaffei, and a little more digging makes things clearer. Pre 1907, the local "Loop" trains out of SF would have headed directly to SSF along Railroad Ave, then loop back towards the Ocean View main and back to SF at the San Bruno wye.

The post 1907 Loop Trains trains operated from SF via Bayshore through (&some terminated at) San Bruno and looped back on the old main line to SF (or in reverse rotation). What happened at San Bruno is the question. Did an east train out of SF via Bayshore stop at San Bruno, then back up westward to the wye switch, then reverse direction and head for the old Ocean View main, or did these trains merely head up the west leg of the San Bruno wye after depositing their passengers in the vicinity of the wye switch (maybe at a shelter?), figuring that this was "close enough" to be called San Bruno in the public TT's (the Ocean View Line trains to San Bruno would have a similar problem). An employee TT might shed some light on this.

As far as McKean cars go, Henry Bender stated in a 2006 piece about the San Bruno Branch that the SP Bulletin of 10-1-1916, p. 6, stated thatin 1916, motor car service replaced steam service between San Francisco and San Bruno via Ocean View on the schedule of trains Nos. 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 and 35, but GE's or McKeans?

- E.O.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/14 00:55 by hogheaded.

Date: 09/25/14 13:20
Author: TonyJ

I forwarded your information to Joe. He can provided an answer to the last question.

Aha!

Tony, this is good stuff....

I can answer the very last question. McKeen cars, as there were no "GE's" (either gas-electric or General Electric) on the SP at that early date. SP was corporately tied to McKeen, and GE was a competitor. SP began buying gas-electric cars--some for use on Commute trains--in 1929.

Thank you!

Joe

hogheaded Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >>continuing what I was blabbering about in the
> Rup spur thread :
> http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,
> 3530216
>
> Aha! That is the best map that I've seen showing
> the junction at the old SSF station. That surely
> is an odd trackage arrangement.
>
> All this, plus some off-thread help from FMaffei,
> and a little more digging makes things clearer.
> Pre 1907, the local "Loop" trains out of SF would
> have headed directly to SSF along Railroad Ave,
> then loop back towards the Ocean View main and
> back to SF at the San Bruno wye.
>
> The post 1907 Loop Trains trains operated from SF
> via Bayshore through (&some terminated at) San
> Bruno and looped back on the old main line to SF
> (or in reverse rotation). What happened at San
> Bruno is the question. Did an east train out of SF
> via Bayshore stop at San Bruno, then back up
> westward to the wye switch, then reverse direction
> and head for the old Ocean View main, or did these
> trains merely head up the west leg of the San
> Bruno wye after depositing their passengers in the
> vicinity of the wye switch (maybe at a shelter?),
> figuring that this was "close enough" to be called
> San Bruno in the public TT's (the Ocean View Line
> trains to San Bruno would have a similar problem).
> An employee TT might shed some light on this.
>
> As far as McKean cars go, Henry Bender stated in a
> 2006 piece about the San Bruno Branch that the SP
> Bulletin of 10-1-1916, p. 6, stated thatin 1916,
> motor car service replaced steam service between
> San Francisco and San Bruno via Ocean View on the
> schedule of trains Nos. 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96,
> 97, 98 and 35, but GE's or McKeans?
>
> - E.O.

Date: 09/26/14 05:48
Author: althewelder

I work right about where your thumb is on the map, with the old right of way (now a walking trail) right behind my building. I remember when the SP would run trains up the line to the Macy's warehouse in SSF (now Costco). I would sometimes cut class at El Camino HS and watch them switch the warehouse. Not the best choice for my grades but it was fun at the time.

AL Bayer

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0456 seconds