Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Nostalgia & History > and then there's the more obscure flare

Date: 01/02/15 14:52
and then there's the more obscure flare
Author: valmont

Ortonville Stone #2801 Denver area ... took this on July 21, 2001, and don't ever remember going back there again. Easy to get to on north side E 88th Ave. just east of US 6. Unit is sub-lettered DAIR for L.G. Everist's Dakota Iowa RR.

Status help?

Date: 01/02/15 15:04
Re: and then there's the more obscure flare
Author: doesyourdogbite

Dair to flare.

Date: 01/02/15 16:40
Author: garr

The lines of the paint scheme rings to mind the CNW GE's.

Jay

Posted from Android

Date: 01/02/15 19:01
Author: redneckrailfan

valmont Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ortonville Stone #2801 Denver area ... took this
> on July 21, 2001, and don't ever remember going
> back there again. Easy to get to on north side E
> 88th Ave. just east of US 6. Unit is sub-lettered
> DAIR for L.G. Everist's Dakota Iowa RR.
>
> Status help?

Both the #2801 and sister #2701 were traded to National Railway Equipment several years ago for a couple SD40-2's. Both were shipped and stored at the NRE facility in Mt.Vernon,Illinois. I do believe that one of units was scrapped during 2014.

Bryan Jones
Brooks, KY
Bryan's Train Photos

Date: 01/03/15 17:51
Author: dgraves

Was it an ex Rio Grande unit?

Date: 01/03/15 20:37
Author: bodkin6071

#2701 was at NRE in Mt. Vernon, IL for what seemed like forever. Last I saw of it it had been stripped down to the frame, only the cab existed. Who knows what will be made from it...

Date: 01/03/15 21:13
Author: dsrc512

Picking a small nit... the proper name of the railroad is the D & I Railroad Company. Dakota and Iowa is a nickname. Dale & Irene was another. The backstory is that during the formation of the D&I as a common carrier serving its owner, the L. G. Everist Co., a multi-state quarry operation, there was little support from the State of Iowa for preserving service on the ex-MILW line between Canton and Elk Point, SD. The line zig-zagged back and forth across the Big Sioux River, the boundary between the two states. Annoyed by Iowa's attitude, Dale Fields, head of the quarry operations and who became the first president of the D&I, decreed the corporate name would not include Iowa. And now you know the rest of the story...
Alex Huff, contracted by LGE at the time of the railroad's transition from a private hauler to a common carrier.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1444 seconds