Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Nostalgia & History > John Keuhl's Photo Collection

Date: 05/15/16 14:36
John Keuhl's Photo Collection
Author: NewRiverGeorge

It's been over ten years since we lost "Private Varnish" John.
I just got to wondering where his extensive collection of photos ended up?
Hopefully in a museum situation where it can be enjoyed by future generations of foamers?

Date: 05/15/16 14:44
Re: John Keuhl's Photo Collection
Author: The_Chief_Way

The heck with foamers. It should be in a place where serious historians have access to it.

Date: 05/15/16 15:05
Author: lwilton

Unfortunately that would probably be a place where serious foamers, and even less serious "just people" would be guaranteed to NOT have access to it.
Waaay too many archives see their remit as preventing anyone except Certified Scholars from having access to the materials.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/16 16:31 by lwilton.

Date: 05/15/16 15:27
Author: The_Chief_Way

Yes, and scholars too.

Date: 05/15/16 15:55
Author: Topfuel

I'm pretty sure his collection ended up in good hands, but I can't recall where off hand.  I think it is somewhere in the Chicago area though. 

Date: 05/15/16 16:06
Author: dan

PV get them, PTJ guys?

Date: 05/15/16 16:19
Author: patd3985

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I know (most?) Don Roberts' collection ended up in the Oregon State Historical Society's archives. There were 1000's &1000's of railroad pictures taken all over the Pacific Northwest! I went there about 10 years ago and asked to see them and they said they're "NOT AVAILABLE FOR PUBLIC VIEWING." I have tried many times, but to no avail!

Date: 05/15/16 16:48
Author: 2720

patd3985 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not trying to hijack this thread, but I know
> (most?) Don Roberts' collection ended up in the
> Oregon State Historical Society's archives. There
> were 1000's &1000's of railroad pictures taken all
> over the Pacific Northwest! I went there about 10
> years ago and asked to see them and they said
> they're "NOT AVAILABLE FOR PUBLIC VIEWING." I have
> tried many times, but to no avail!

I've run into this problem a time or two! Unfortunately as I found out on one occasion
that the organization had never taken the time to throughly inventory and catalog a collection
and didn't have the personell, time or interest to do so!

The next question asked was "If you don't want to do anything with this collection, why don't you 
send it to an organization who would love to have it and properly deal with it?", the answer I recieved
was "Its ours and we will never get rid of it"!! 

Good Luck with accessing it in the future!

Mike

Date: 05/15/16 16:59
Author: 1200v

Or, if you can donate funds to catalog it in addition to the photos. Most of the time when material isn't available to the public it's because it isn't cataloged yet. OTOH see the wonderful Barringer (sp?) collection, cataloged and on line, at the St. Louis Mercantile Library.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0349 seconds