Home Open Account Help 255 users online

Nostalgia & History > 47 years ago yesterday and today.

Date: 01/06/17 08:45
47 years ago yesterday and today.
Author: RodneyZona

47 years ago yesterday and today, January 5 and 6, 1970 Erie Lackawanna RR remaining passenger trains 5/6 the Lake Cities, made its final run between Hoboken, NJ an d Chicago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/17 08:46 by RodneyZona.

Date: 01/06/17 09:02
Re: 47 years ago yesterday and today.
Author: gcm

Sad days indeed.
I didn't see the last runs but remember the pictures and coverage in the Akron Beacon Journal.
Gary

Date: 01/06/17 10:04
Author: ShastaDaylight

An event I remember well, as another passenger train dissapeared...

ShastaDaylight

Date: 01/06/17 18:56
Author: Today

As one who works in the area east of Kenton (Priefer Station and Hepburn) I often think of what it would have been like when the train ran through the area.  There is still an overpass over one of the roads just east of Hepburn.  As time goes by, traces of the railroad keep disappearing.   

Date: 01/06/17 20:32
Author: Englewood

As I recall the EL had permission to discontinue the train at an earlier date but
being the class act that they were kept the train running thru the holiday travel
season.

Unlike the Q that ended a train (Billings train?) abruptly half way thru its run.

Date: 01/06/17 20:33
Author: rrcaboose

Rode last #6 from Chicago to Dover with my new bride returning from honeymoon to Caribbean via Miami (where we saw Orange Bowl game)/Chicago.
Celebrated our 47th anniversary last month.
Started our journey 2 weeks earlier flying out of Newark to Atlanta, then Central of Georgia dome to Savannah then SCL Silver Star Pullman to Hialeah.
Then Air France to Caribbean.

Rode that same dome many years later on QNS &L in Labrador.

rrcaboose

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0408 seconds