Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Nostalgia & History > U.P. Winter Olympics Torch Relay Train 15 years ago today

Date: 01/11/17 10:07
U.P. Winter Olympics Torch Relay Train 15 years ago today
Author: JoCoLB

It was 15 years ago today, Jan. 11, 2002, when the Union Pacific Railroad's 2002 Winter Olympics Torch Train visited Kansas and made a long stop in Wichita.

I lived in Herington, Kan., at the time but the train arrived there shortly before sunrise. I decided I would drive to Wichita to catch the train in full sunlight later in the morning. I'm sure glad I did. There was not a cloud in the sky when the train stopped at the old Wichita Union Station platform area.

I'll share some of my pictures with you to recall the day.

Date: 01/11/17 10:09
Re: U.P. Winter Olympics Torch Relay Train 15 years ago today

Two more shots of the specially painted locomotives, Nos. 2001 and 2002.

Date: 01/11/17 10:20

Here are three photos of the car consist, including the specially constructed cauldron car on the rear of the train. People had fun posing for pictures in front of the car.

There was only one hitch when the train made its Wichita appearance. The flame was out on the torch on the cauldron car. There was some sort of problem with the fuel supply system.

I remember it was somewhat a chilly day despite the cloudless sky. I didn't stick around long after taking my pictures. I learned later the torch flame problem was overcome before the train headed south into Oklahoma. 

The Union Pacific developed the train as a combination long goodwill and Olympics promotion tour preceding the Feb. 8-24, 2002, Winter Olympics in and around Salt Lake City, Utah.  The two specially painted and decorated locomotives, Nos. 2001 and 2002,  remain in service. The cauldron car reportedly is on display in Omaha. 

Date: 01/11/17 10:23

This scene brought some smiles to a few railroaders and railfans. The BNSF Railway sent one of its westbound trains past the U.P. special during its long pause in Wichita. That's what you call "getting in on the act."

(Photos by Larry Byers)

Date: 01/11/17 12:01
Author: wigwag

That olympic paint has held up well after all these years!

Date: 01/11/17 18:38
Author: upkpfan

Larry,
That torch was out I believe all across KS. It was out when it came thru Ellsworth and like you say, out in Wichita as I was there also that morning. upkpfan

Date: 01/11/17 21:46
Author: EmpireBuilder

The decals on the cars were an enormous pain in the ass.  It took a couple of days to strip the decals off of each car.    I took a lot of photos of every car when we did this, I should scan them someday.    If I remember correctly, Steve donated the cauldron car to the museum in Ogden.   Have they brought it back out ?

Date: 01/11/17 21:52
Author: wpjones

The cauldron car was still in Ogden when the 4014 was there over night. I believe it was built on the same Implement flat that hauled the 1243 around for several years.
Steve

Date: 01/11/17 22:02

Steve, I thought that flat got the bulktainers.     The cauldron car was the same one used for the '96 olympics.    I'm stretching the memory here, but I think Mid America Car in KC rebuilt it for the 2002 train.    I'm thinking Northern Railcar in Milwaukee originally built it.

Date: 01/12/17 09:44
Author: switchlock

Right.  The '02 cauldron car was recycled from the '96 version.  The '96 version was on display at the Durham museum in Omaha for a while after its tour was over.  They had a ramp to it so you could walk around on it.  I believe Mid Americar Car in KC did the '02 work.  They ran a test from KC to Topeka a few weeks before the torch tour started.  Olympic locos, a couple of decaled coaches and the lit cauldron car made up the consist.

I had a long day of chasing this thing from east of Herington to just across the Oklahoma border.  The cauldron was lit arriving in and departing from Herington.  It was out leaving Wichita.

Date: 01/12/17 19:02
Author: burlingtonjohn

The Cauldron Car was at the museum in Ogden on 13 Sep 16.

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 01/12/17 19:31

The flame went out somewhere between Herington and Wichita. I do remember seeing the torch burning while the train was in Herington. 

Date: 01/12/17 21:17

In case it matters to anyone the actual flame was kept safely burning inside of the train.    And yes, it was the real flame, from Greece and going to Salt Lake.    That cauldron car was a nightmare from the word go.   If you want to see Steve Lee with veins popping out of his forehead - ask him about that car, he was in charge of it. 

Date: 01/15/17 13:45
Author: wpjones

I watched the 96 train leave Fox Park. Steve Lee was there. So I asked him jokingly where the Legal Dept was when they deceided to put a flatcar loaded with propane tanks on the rear of a Passenger train and He pulled an inch think punch of papers out the back pocket of his Bibs and said "here's all the special permits needed for that thing"
Still remember one of the shop foreman, either Fredie or Jim saying he was never so glad to see a special train leave.
Steve

EmpireBuilder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In case it matters to anyone the actual flame was
> kept safely burning inside of the train.    And
> yes, it was the real flame, from Greece and going
> to Salt Lake.    That cauldron car was a
> nightmare from the word go.   If you want to see
> Steve Lee with veins popping out of his forehead -
> ask him about that car, he was in charge of it. 

Date: 01/15/17 16:59
Author: bodkin6071

And 15 years later, both engines are still running around in this scheme.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0612 seconds