Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Nostalgia & History > Kind of Cars You Don't See Anymore

Date: 01/11/17 15:28
Kind of Cars You Don't See Anymore
Author: WichitaJct

Used to be you'd see lots of cars like this Pillsbury car with the owner's name and/or logo on it. Not so much anymore. Have any photos you could post? This photo taken July 2015 at Wichita (formerly North Wichita) sitting on the WUT interchange track. 

Date: 01/11/17 15:53
Re: Kind of Cars You Don't See Anymore
Author: ghemr

I'm surprised it doesn't have FRA-mandated reflective striping which started in 2005........

Date: 01/11/17 15:54
Author: callum_out

Those "Doughboy" things just aren't the same!

Out

Date: 01/11/17 17:01
Author: exprail

When I worked for the K&O I always was surprised that the covered hopper fleet which was part of the ATSF/MP leased cars rarely had much graffetti. This fleet of hoppers would get mixed up as loads coming into Wichita but then separated by road when returning mty to country elevators to honor individual roads agreements.

It appears that Kansas youth in rural areas had more common sense than to spend their hard earned dollars buying spray pint to graffetti freight cars.

exprail

Date: 01/11/17 18:01
Author: RNP47

Given the general disrespect given by "taggers", I would wonder whether or not they pay for their spray paint or whether they kife the paint.

Date: 01/11/17 20:59
Author: perklocal

Here's two that I could come up with right now, but I know that I have a few more somewhere in the archives. Shot #1 was taken on Conrail's ex-RDG Perkiomen Branch on 2/1/78.GACX 47188 Airslide flour car. Pillsbury had a plant here in East Greenville,PA.,but it has since closed.  Shot #2  GACX 48343 is a somewhat larger Airslide flour car on 4/10/82  proudly advertising Wonder Bread and Hostess Cake brands. These came in through Allentown,PA on Conrail's PIOI (Conway-Oak Island),most likely headed for their bakeries in the North Jersey and the NYC area.

Date: 01/11/17 23:26
Author: ghemr

exprail Wrote:

> It appears that Kansas youth in rural areas had
> more common sense than to spend their hard earned
> dollars buying spray pint to graffetti freight
> cars.
 Indeed, better upbringing and values than the west coast youth......

Date: 01/12/17 00:15
Author: Stottman

I photographed this one within the last 4-5 years. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0356 seconds