Home Open Account Help 255 users online

Nostalgia & History > Joint dining car service - CNJ/Reading

Date: 03/16/17 07:17
Joint dining car service - CNJ/Reading
Author: njmidland

For a number of years the Reading and the Jersey Central operated a joint dining car department, which made sense when you consider the routes that ran on a portion of each railroad (Jersey City - Philadelphia, Jersey City - Harrisburg).  It appears this arrangement ended around 1960.  I have met a few people who recall excellent charcoal-broiled seafood as well as excellent oyster stew.  Perhaps the B&O's dining car department had influence as well.

Photo 1:  A Reading issued post card of one of their dining cars, circa 1920.  To me it speaks of conservative Philadelphia bankers and dining at the famous Bookbinders Restaurant.
Photo 2: The CNJ's most notable was the Jersey City - Atlantic City train "The Blue Comet".  This is the dining car "Giacobini", named for the astronomer who observed the comet in the constellation of Aquarius.
Photo 3: A joint menu from 1958. Front side.

Date: 03/16/17 07:21
Re: Joint dining car service - CNJ/Reading

Photo 4: Back side of the 1958 menu.
Photo 5: Cover of an earlier joint menu with the RDG-CNJ logo.
Photo 6: Most of the joint RDG-CNJ china was very plain.  Here is a piece of the Stotesbury pattern, purchased from John Wanamaker.

Date: 03/16/17 07:33
Author: aehouse

That Pennsylvania was dry on Sundays was always a concern to my late mother, who enjoyed a drink.  She always tried to make sure that during our travels we never had to overnight on a Sunday in Pennsylvania, because she knew she couldn't get served dinner cocktail(s).

Art House

Date: 03/16/17 08:58
Author: King_Coal

Thanks for posting. What CNJ-RDG diner service was left in 1958? That's pretty late in the game for delux service on either carrier.

Date: 03/16/17 09:31
Author: sig292

I have no connection with this company, but they have replicated the RDG/CNJ coffee served on these dining cars. I'm posting the link for those interested. I've bought some and think is's very good, but I like the Lackawanna coffee a little better.
http://www.phoebesnowco.com/Reading-Company-New-Jersey-Central-Coffee-RDGCNJ-Coffee.htm

Ken Gear

Date: 03/16/17 09:42

King_Coal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for posting. What CNJ-RDG diner service was
> left in 1958? That's pretty late in the game for
> delux service on either carrier.

There was still dining car service on the Jersey City to Harrisburg trains until about 1960.  There was also service on the Jersey City - Philadelphia route:  some kind of food/beverage service survived on the RDCs until nearly the end under Conrail.

I am not as familiar with the Reading side on what service remained on the all RDG routes.

Tim

Date: 03/16/17 10:13
Author: Heath_Tower

Adjusted for inflation, the prices are pretty steep, the dinners would cost around $20.00 in today's dollars.

The railroads' clientelle likely supported these prices, I'm sure a Phildelphia lawyer didn't hesitate to order
a Seagram's VO and tonic at $1.00 (would be $8.00 nowadays) as he loosened his tie...

Unless I missed it, I didn't see any hamburgers or fries on the menu, either. Comparing this dining car menu
to what people eat today while travelling is like night and day...

Date: 03/16/17 13:40
Author: ghCBNS

Heath_Tower Wrote:
>
> Unless I missed it, I didn't see any hamburgers or
> fries on the menu, either. ....

And another nice thing missing from today's menu.....the pack of Viceroy!!

Date: 03/16/17 19:02
Author: Atlpete

Ooo yeah, a smoke after eating
though I think I'm still around because I quit that; at least that's what I arrived at based on how many of my relatives succumbed to respiratory disease from smoking.
At the time though, we smoked 'em if you had  'em for sure.

I have no absolutely doubt the CNJ-Reading service was first class all the way. I love to read old dining menu's. Must admit those fried oysters with cole slaw sounds DAMN good!!!
Fabulous post, thanks!!!!
Pete

Date: 03/16/17 19:12
Author: Heath_Tower

Atlpete Wrote:
> Ooo yeah, a smoke after eating
> though I think I'm still around because I quit
> that; at least that's what I arrived at based on
> how many of my relatives succumbed to respiratory
> disease from smoking.
> At the time though, we smoked 'em if you had  'em
> for sure.
>
> I have no absolutely doubt the CNJ-Reading service
> was first class all the way. I love to read old
> dining menu's. Must admit those fried oysters with
> cole slaw sounds DAMN good!!!
> Fabulous post, thanks!!!!
> Pete

I'm still thinking about the 'Fresh Fish over glowing Charcoal', too bad my time machine is OOS.

VO and tonic for $1.00? Makes me want to visit the House of Seagram's in the near future...

Date: 03/17/17 07:39
Author: kpcmcpkva

I went to the coffee web site and saw New Haven's brew offered and being in the tradition of a well
​known New England roaster.  I wonder if it was the S S Pierce company.

Date: 03/17/17 08:00

kpcmcpkva Wrote:
> I went to the coffee web site and saw New Haven's
> brew offered and being in the tradition of a well
> ​known New England roaster.  I wonder if it was
> the S S Pierce company.

No, it was White House Coffee of Boston.  It and the North Shore are my favorite blends.  THe NH is a really mild, smooth coffee.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/17 08:02 by njmidland.

Date: 03/17/17 19:11
Author: agentatascadero

I'm another fan of these great menu postings.  It is amazing how culinary tastes vary/change over the years....Kippered Herring?  Really?  In '58, to see a menu with no burger offerings, not even Salisbury Steak ( a common dining car offering), really does surprise me.  Regards their China, I thiink the pattern is classy.
AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0509 seconds