Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Nostalgia & History > F40PH Quartet Climbing Soldier Summit on New Year's Eve

Date: 03/17/17 08:11
F40PH Quartet Climbing Soldier Summit on New Year's Eve
Author: GrandeGold

A matched quartet of EMD F40PH units lead a 17 car Amtrak No. 6 east through Gilluly, Utah on the Denver & Rio Grande Western.

The California Zephyr was running 4-1/2 hours late out of Salt Lake City on New Year's Eve, 1990.

James Belmont
Salt Lake City, UT

Date: 03/17/17 08:16
Re: F40PH Quartet Climbing Soldier Summit on New Year's Eve
Author: retcsxcfm

Great shot.Looks like a complete phase three color
publicity shot.

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.

Date: 03/17/17 10:39
Author: MartyBernard

Really nice James!

Marty

Date: 03/17/17 11:12
Author: SPDRGWfan

Yes yes.  I don't care for the current Amtrak Scheme and "Darth Vader" GE diesels.  I road the Amtrak CZ back in summer of 1990 and we had 4 F40PH's pulling a 17 car train with two diners westbound.  Eastbound back to Denver we had 2 F40PH's and a D&RGW GP40-2 #3113 as the pilot.

Great looking train back when Amtrak looked better!

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 03/17/17 13:38
Author: AndyBrown

Oh man that's nice!  F40s and a long train; great look back.

Andy

Date: 03/17/17 18:57
Author: mojaveflyer

Great shot! I don't recall seeing four F40PHs on a train but I did catch four of the current GE's on #4 at Dalies, NM. Thanks for sharing...

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 03/18/17 00:34
Author: coach

I rode this train when the DESERT WIND and PIONEER were still running, and leaving Denver we had 15 cars, maybe a few more.  It was an impressive ride home from Boston, then Chicago.

Date: 03/18/17 08:56
Author: gcm

Excellent shot.
One of the better looking Amtrak trains I have seen.
Gary

Date: 03/18/17 11:05
Author: dan

before amtrak got the standard consists doctrine  less passengers =less losses mentality, could have been the zenith for atk western LD services right here, before the cz was made a 4 day a week operATION, THE SF BILEVELS WERE RETIRED..

Date: 03/18/17 15:01
Author: atsf121

What a train!  I remember when the Zephyr pulled into Provo the next year for me to ride home to California for Christmas and I was shocked at how big the train was.  I would see 3 F40's and 12 or so cars in California growing up.  But this monster had 4 engines and 17 or so cars.  I really wish I had gotten out at Salt Lake to try and take some photos of the switching to split that into 3 trains.  But my cheapo point and shoot wouldn't have done it justice.  Too bad it's changed.

Nathan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0495 seconds