Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Nostalgia & History > Roger Puta Spent Some Time With These AT&SF Signals

Date: 03/20/17 20:17
Roger Puta Spent Some Time With These AT&SF Signals
Author: MartyBernard

I'm am not sure of the sequence of these 5 photos because Roger Puta was using two cameras and playing with exposures, but I think it's pretty close.  The signals have square signs with "S" and "A" on them.  No signal numbers are visible.  It's a pretty neat sequence. 

Any ideas as to location?  I have found no other Santa Fe photos taken in February 1980 except one in the Tehachapis.

Thanks,
Marty

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/17 20:27 by MartyBernard.

Date: 03/20/17 20:18
Re: Roger Puta Spent Some Time With These AT&SF Signals

Date: 03/20/17 20:35
Author: bradleymckay

Sure looks like Sandcut, so those would be SP signals.

Allen

Date: 03/20/17 21:21
Author: DynamicBrake

Definitely Sandcut, but I think the last three are elsewhere.  IIRC, there are no structures at Sandcut except for the one in the second shot.  Nice shots BTW Marty, thanks for sharing.

Kent in Carmel Valley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/17 21:23 by DynamicBrake.

Date: 03/20/17 21:33
Author: NYC303

All look like Sandcut.

Date: 03/20/17 21:42
Author: SCUfoamer

Sand Cut...Literlly just posted photos in this location from present day. Thank you for sharing.

Date: 03/20/17 22:01

Yes, I just looked back at some of Roger's we have I dentified as Sandcut and these fit.  Thanks for the help.

Now for a tougher question.  Is Sandcut one or two words?  I've seen it both ways.

Marty

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/17 22:03 by MartyBernard.

Date: 03/20/17 22:30
Author: SCUfoamer

MartyBernard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, I just looked back at some of Roger's we have
> I identified as Sandcut and these fit.  Thanks for
> the help.
>
> Now for a tougher question.  Is Sandcut one or
> two words?  I've seen it both ways.
>
> Marty

I'd say I misspelled it. Sandcut is how I have always used/seen it

Date: 03/20/17 23:07
Author: mwbridgwater

Even without seeing the surrounding area, I can tell that the cantilever signal is SP.  Though Santa Fe had the same bridges, the railings on this one follow the standard SP design for that part.

Mark

Date: 03/21/17 07:17
Author: up833

I too think they are the same location with enough things to ID them. When I saw the orange grove on the first couple I thought..East of San Berdoo.
Roger Beckett

Date: 03/21/17 13:23
Author: johnsweetser

DynamicBrake wrote:

> ...  IIRC, there are no structures at Sandcut except for the one in the second shot. 

To clarify, the speeder shed at Sandcut disappeared around 1993 (back in April 1977, I was waiting there for the westbound Royal Hudson train to come through and looked into the shed and saw a speeder in it).

Date: 03/21/17 18:31
Author: johnsweetser

A little history of the railroad name "Sandcut":

It was originally a siding, spelled "Sand Cut," probably established in the 1880s (the name appears in an 1887 SP document I have).

In September 1902, the name was changed to "Treves" and in December 1912, changed to "Sivert."

In August of 1922, double track was completed from Bakersfield to Sivert.  When the double track was extended from Sivert to Bena in 1928, the name "Sivert" was dropped from timetables.

Sometime between the San Joaquin Division timetable effective Sept. 25, 1960 and the timetable effective April 30, 1961, crossovers were put in where the cantilever signal bridge was added and the tracks from that point to the east end of Bena were designated as two main tracks.  The SP named the location of the crossovers as "Sandcut," resurrecting the name used prior to 1902 (but just as one word).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/17 18:36 by johnsweetser.

Date: 03/21/17 19:16

Thanks for all the information.  I should be able to write a good caption.  Marty

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0512 seconds