Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Nostalgia & History > Tower Tuesday: Merrick, in the land of Oz

Date: 04/18/17 07:16
Tower Tuesday: Merrick, in the land of Oz
Author: march_hare

My first visit to the Emporia, KS area was in February of 1986 on a lengthy cross country trip (Dallas-Los Angeles-Denver-Albany, I told you it was lengthy...).  Actually, by the time I got to Kansas it was March already.

I have no memory of this train, but from the number of motor drive traders in the box, it must have been coming by quite slowly.

Date: 04/18/17 08:33
Re: Tower Tuesday: Merrick, in the land of Oz
Author: IC1038west

Great image.  Electric lead in place; Merrick tower in place.  Pure Santa Fe.  Thank you for sharing this one.

Date: 04/18/17 14:43
Author: santafe199

Nice shot, in a place I knew very well. That looks like a Texas-bound train, maybe a 365-type dog. This after considering the consist AND that fact it's departing off Yard Track #3 where it most likely received cut & fill work. Ah... the good old days. It wasn't very long after 1986 that the electric lead was torn out, along with the whole eastbound yard. We had yet learn that Emporia was dying as a crew-change point & major terminal for locals...

Lance/199 (worked out of Emporia 1978 ~ 1987)

Date: 04/18/17 15:16
Author: LocoPilot750

Looks like the train is coming out of the yard, so it would be 10 mph until it's all out on #3 track, then they can depart at 30 until they're by Merrick. 3 track is "non-bonded", no signals, but timetable says you can use it at 30 mph. Kinda like restricted speed though, with a 30 mph cap instead of 20, but everything else applies.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0271 seconds