Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Nostalgia & History > Traction Action in Emeryville, Calif. on 4-20

Date: 04/20/17 16:09
Traction Action in Emeryville, Calif. on 4-20
Author: stash

59 nine years ago, on April 20, 1958, the final Key System Transit Lines trains ran in revenue service. Time was running out when the Shattuck Avenue photo was snapped. Track was a mess and few riders are visible on the train. Key threw in the towel years before and maintenance stopped. The photo in Emeryville was shot some years prior to the end and shows an F train departing the busy station, entering a weed infested right of way, for the run to Division 1 (Oakland yard) and San Francisco via the Bay Bridge. The track and wires in the yard and on the bridge were new as of 1939 and in the best condition of anything on the Key Route.

A few years following the end of Key train service BART began building a railroad. Now even BART can be considered historical, but is an essential part of Bay Area transportation and much faster and more reliable than anything the Key Route offered.

Date: 04/20/17 16:11
Re: Traction Action in Emeryville, Calif. on 4-20
Author: retcsxcfm

That 48 or 49 Buick looks like it could eat
you with those "teeth".

Uncle Joe
Seffner,fl.

Date: 04/20/17 16:24
Author: agentatascadero

Joe, If you're thinking about that tan wagon.....I don't think it's a Buick. I'm thinking more like De Soto or Chrysler. Wish these old eyes could get a better grasp on the photo.
Can't say how much I love these old vintage photos, other than to say Keep 'em comin'!
AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 04/20/17 16:40
Author: krm152

The station wagon is a 1954 Desoto.
ALLEN

Date: 04/20/17 16:42
Author: spnudge

I would go DeSoto.

Nudge

Date: 04/20/17 18:54
Author: KeyRouteKen

As usual, 'AA' is incorrect  on historical tidbits.  1954 Plymouths did not have a front end like the "teeth"..  But the 1949 Buick Roadmaster 'DID'.   Sorry you guys.  I'm sayin '49 Buick Roadmaster.  See ATTACHED grill photo.

KRK

Date: 04/20/17 19:16
Author: steeplecab

Naw, the endss of the Buick grille are wrong. Here's the DeSoto:
http://www.allpar.com/old/buyers-guide/images/desoto-1954-powermaster-pg3.jpg

Besides, the station wagon doesn't have 'portholes' in the sides of the front fenders.

steeplecab

Date: 04/20/17 19:44

Ken, Who said "Plymouth"? If you're challenging my CORRECT guess that the wagon is a De Soto,or Chrysler, well, let's just say it is not me who is incorrect...given your guess of Buick. But please, old buddy, at least get what I said correct, or you make yourself eligible for the charge of being out beyond left field.
I know, contrition is a b***h, but let's hear it, you owe me.
AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 04/20/17 21:01
Author: BRAtkinson

Based on the car company logo on the front end, I'd say it's neither a DeSoto, Buick, or Chrysler. Anybody here old enough and still has a memory able to identify what company built the car?

Date: 04/20/17 21:09

BRAtkinson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Based on the car company logo on the front end,
> I'd say it's neither a DeSoto, Buick, or Chrysler.
> Anybody here old enough and still has a memory
> able to identify what company built the car?

As far as KRK is concerned vs. 'AA'----
1.  I am always right !!

2.  When I am wrong, read # 1 again  !!

Now then, I do NOT give up !!  Tomorrow, April 21st,  I will have the ANSWER verbatim...  I am going to GM and ask them !!
No kidding !!    Will have an answer for you Cats not later than  4:00 PM, PDT.  At that time, 'AA' can give me $ 500.00 !!

KRK

Date: 04/20/17 21:20
Author: stash

OMG. Yawn. It is a Key train. Not to be confused the a key train in modern vernacular. I should've cropped it tighter.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/20/17 21:56
Author: LarryB

Most definately a Chrysler product. Compare the trim on the front quarter in the Key photo and the DeSoto ad posted by Steeplecab. They're identical. Buick's body shape is way different.
KRK owes AA an apology.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/17 22:01 by LarryB.

Date: 04/20/17 22:03
Author: LarryB

I'm loving these Key System posts. I rode many of the lines as a kid with my mother and grandmother. I don't remember the ROW being so weedy and unkempt. I guess I just remember that the trains were cool.

Date: 04/21/17 06:49
Author: Auburn_Ed

IT'S A DESOTO!. One of 954 produced that year, equipped with a "Firedome" (hemi) V-8.

Ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/17 06:54 by Auburn_Ed.

Date: 04/21/17 11:09

BRAtkinson, Based on that logo up front, you asserting this wagon was built by an obscure company. I know several companies it ain't: Packard, Nash, Hudson, Kaiser, Frasier, Studebaker.
I think the body is clearly that of a Chrysler product, and, as so many have indicated, it's a De Soto.
But, if you have a surprise for us.....let's have it.
KRK, Looks like you owe me one.....perhaps we can add that to the steak dinner you already owe me!! I'll be in your neck of the woods in late June.....fire up the grill!!

Stash, I go for the full, not cropped, view......after all, it's all history now, and clearly is of interest to certain members. The photo forensics game is great entertainment, even if a bit edgy at times.
AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 04/21/17 13:28

Attention All:   (especially "Agent Atascadero") :
I'm dropping OUT !!    I did, however, contact General Motors, and sent them the OLD photos as well as Ed's pretty blue photo.
Right away , without hesitation, they stated:   1948 or 1949 BUICK ROADMASTER.   What can I say !!

On the front edge of the hood of Ed's blue photo, can anyone make out what those SIX letters spell out ..
On the side of the right fender, what does THAT spell out ?  ROADMASTER per chance ??

Anyway,  Mr. 'AA'---    I'll meet you at the Steak House in June.

KRK

Date: 04/21/17 17:19
Author: BRAtkinson

Somehow, I don't recall that particular hood ornament of a DeSoto. But the blue DeSoto is an exact match for the one in the picture.

The cost of getting old, I guess. At least I have an excuse. Being follically challenged (bald), I can get away with telling everyone there's a memory cell tied to every hair follicle....

Date: 04/22/17 21:20
Author: Lark

Love the Grill...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0551 seconds