Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Nostalgia & History > Alexandria, Virginia 1993

Date: 04/21/17 10:23
Alexandria, Virginia 1993
Author: RFandPFan

March 17, 1993 - Foggy day (melting snow) in Alexandria, Virginia. Amtrak, CSX and a Sperry Car.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/21/17 12:25
Re: Alexandria, Virginia 1993
Author: bluesboyst

Wow.. was that last one a Florida train. Forgot how long the where back then.

Date: 04/21/17 12:37
Author: RFandPFan

bluesboyst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow.. was that last one a Florida train. Forgot
> how long the where back then.

Yes, that was 81/91 Silver Star.

Date: 04/21/17 13:01
Author: knotch8

I think the first one is Train 89, the Palmetto, with an extra mail car on the head-end. The one at 3:50 is Train 51, The Cardinal, with a baggage car, a 16-single/10-double Slumbercoach, a 10/6 sleeper, a Horizon dinette, an Amfleet-II lounge and 3 Amfleet-II coaches. The last one is Train 81, the Silver Star, with the Miami section on the head-end and the Tampa section on the rear. I thought the train used to carry a baggage/dormitory, but this train doesn't have one. I wonder if the crew was reaccommodated in sleeper space. If I remember right, the head-end mail car went to Tampa, then the Miami section has a baggage car, 3 coaches, a 24-single/8-double Slumbercoach, a 10/6 sleeper, a Heritage lounge, 3 Amfleet-II coaches, the twin-unit kitchen-cafeteria buffet-style food service, then the Tampa section with a 10/6 sleeper, Amfleet-II lounge and 5 coaches. I never remember the Tampa section having 5 coaches, so I imagine there was a group or maybe 1 or 2 coaches deadheading to Tampa for maintenance.

Nice video. Thanks for posting this throwback to when Amtrak operated long single-level trains in the East.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/17 13:05 by knotch8.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0301 seconds