Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Nostalgia & History > TBT "Missabe... Where It Ain't Oughta Be"

Date: 04/27/17 18:17
TBT "Missabe... Where It Ain't Oughta Be"
Author: aussiehinz

Like several other roads that derived mucn of their income from one or two seasonal commodities, Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range (DM&IR) regularly leased out its motive power to other railroads during the winter months, when the Great Lakes shipping season was idled and ore movements were sharply curtailed. One railroad that leased DM&IR locomotives was Detroit, Toledo & Ironton (DT&I), which put the units to work hauling automobiles and auto industry parts over its Detroit to Springfield OH main line. In December, 1978, that is exactly what is happening in these views at Carleton MI, Flat Rock MI and Hamler OH, with various DM&IR first generation SD's working for lessor DT&I.

Cheers,

aussiehinz

Date: 04/27/17 18:18
Re: TBT "Missabe... Where It Ain't Oughta Be"
Author: atsf121

Fantastic!

Date: 04/27/17 18:27
Author: refarkas

Thanks for posting these rare images. My favorite is DM&IR 161 passing the tower in Carleton, Michigan. Great photo.
Bob

Date: 04/27/17 18:33
Author: KansasRailHead

OutStanding

Date: 04/27/17 20:16
Author: gbmott

Not "Where It Ain't Oughta Be", but "Doin' What It Ain't Oughta Be" is shown below when, during the great SDP-40 crisis, Amtrak leased the two DM&IR steam generator-equipped SD-9's to use on the Arrowhead between Duluth and the Twin Cities in the winter of (I think) 1977

Gordon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/17 20:18 by gbmott.

Date: 04/27/17 21:50
Author: E25

Well, the last shot certainly takes the prize.

Date: 04/28/17 03:31
Author: kgmontreal

Neat shots.

KG

Date: 04/28/17 06:12
Author: 3rdswitch

Great catches.
JB

Date: 04/28/17 13:56
Author: march_hare

Somebody please tell me that they had a steam generator car on the other end of the Duluth train.  Can't imagine taking that ride without heat.

Date: 04/29/17 10:26
Author: NebraskaZephyr

march_hare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Somebody please tell me that they had a steam
> generator car on the other end of the Duluth
> train.  Can't imagine taking that ride without
> heat.

As previously mentioned, the DMIR 129 and 130 were built with steam generators for hauling the office cars and the occasional special train around, so they were fine for pinch-hitting on the Arrowhead.

NZ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0357 seconds