Home Open Account Help 246 users online

Nostalgia & History > Motorcar'n Up the NWP (Part 4 of ?)

Date: 04/27/17 20:51
Motorcar'n Up the NWP (Part 4 of ?)
Author: BoilingMan

Continued...
SR

Photos 1&2. A Wood portaled (is that a word?) tunnel, coming and going. The NWP has LOTS of tunnels!
Photo 3. We were running with a club, and clubs have/love rules. It was required any stops be flagged. So here's Ron flagging for me- he was game for such things (to a point... "Rule G! Really?!" Sorry Ron, 'fraid so))
Ron told me that the house he lived in as a kid had a bay window overlooking the driveway. He set up the bay as his operator's desk. Every morning his dad was not allowed to go down the driveway and head off to work without first picking up orders.
Flagging our motorcar seemed silly to me, but to Ron...

BTW: if you look close, you'll see I'm running as NWP #4. This was a practice I copied from Doyle and the 4449 crew- displaying local train numbers. In this case, the NWP ran the Budd RDC as 3&4 back in The Day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/17 01:57 by BoilingMan.

Date: 04/27/17 22:01
Re: Motorcar'n Up the NWP (Part 4 of ?)
Author: jcaestecker

Thanks very much! We are enjoying this immensely.

-John

Date: 04/27/17 22:08
Re: Motorcar'n Up the NWP (Part 4 of ?)
Author: JDLX

Thanks for the continuing pictures, I appreciate them a lot.

The question as to the current status of the line has been raised several times in the previous posts, namely is it intact, the answer is in short, no. The last through train between Eureka and Willits ran in the very first days of 1998, due to a combination of a lot of natural and more than a few self inflicted disasters. The following link should take you to a video a group of rafters shot back in 2009 of large parts of this same line, and keep in mind this footage is now eight years old and nature has not exactly slowed down in its efforts to remove the line. A tour of it in Google Earth shows innumerable slipouts, landslides, washouts, and the like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhCjYNKXNvk

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0424 seconds